1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw Troy last night...

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Family Guy, May 16, 2004.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am lucky enough to hold a UGC cinema's unlimited pass. Was totally bored last night so about 6PM, thought I'd bite the bullet and go and see Van Helsing...well, to my supprise (and relief), the UGC in Crawley was showing an advanced screening of Troy on screen 4 - which is one of 2 THX approved screens at the multiplex...
    So how was the movie...? I thought it was very good actually. Wolfgang Peterson has done to the Myth of Troy what peter Jackson did to the LOTR trilogy...make it acceptablr to younger audiences.
    The words "popcorn movie" and "no brainer" have been use far to much on these forums just recently, and I'm glad to report that Troy is neither of these.
    The language has been updated...I read a review that the words that are spoken in the movie would never have been said by the characters 3200 years ago. My argument is that if the dialogue was "as it was", then I for one, being not up to speed on Greek mythology, would not have understood it.
    As it was, the film is huge...it's an epic in all ways. The cast are tremondous, though if I put my hand on my heart, i think it was a movie or 2 to early for Eric Banna. His dialogue, particularly in the opening 25 minutes are delivered...just delivered. However, he seems to get a grip of his character Hector and from then on in, rolls along with it. Orlando Bloom is, well, Orlando Bloom. Probably placed there as eye candy for the many teenage girls in the audience...
    However, Brad Pitt steals the show...he is fantastic as Achiles...I couldn't see any other actor in Hollywodd playing this part. This is Brad Pitts finest hour, without question. He put his heart and soul into this part, and, going by the way he has beefed up, not just during filming either...

To sum, this all those epic films you see on auntie BEEB over Easter and on a bank holiday monday afternoon...only bigger. I can over emphasise the scale of this movie. It's at least as big as LOTR ROTK...probably bigger. And the tension that Wolfgang peterson builds up during the fight scenes is out of this world...I watched it in a 500+ seater theatre last night and not a word was said from begging to end...

Overall...4.5 out of 5. Well worth a trip out to see it.

Footnote...I REALLY didn't want to be the first one on the forums to post on this movie...please don't flame me. I loved it - you might not... ;)

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    What was Sean Beans performance like as Odysseus? I see his name is a long way down the credits. If they want to do a sequel his tale is a good one although made by Kirk Douglas and more recently a TV movie with Armand Assante.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +928
    That seems a good honest run through of the movie army bloke, i am quite looking forward to seeing this, a bit more so now.

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean Bean is, as usual very good:
    Spoiler - And his character dosen't die at the end!!! (Though not really a spoiler if you know the story...;)
    His on screen time probably totals no more than 20 - 30 minutes and he really is looking old these days...
    His very distinctive voice opens a closes the movie with a very short narrative at either end...
    On an AV enthuasist point - the sound was awesome. I saw it in SDDS...the very first sound in the film is a sub 20hz bass note!!!
    However, one thing that really did start to get on my tits...it's "wailing woman" music all the way through...but the occasional orchestral score by James (I just keep churning 'em out) Horner is very cinematic indeed...

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Troy-1132530/

The reviews it has been getting have put me off it a bit, and the trailers I have seen for it, to me, have made the film seem a little vacuous. I will probably give it a go anway.

6. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've quoted some of Army Bloke's spoiler though it doesn't give anything regarding the plot of the film away for those that care..

Can't say i've ever felt i've ever experienced 'proper' bass at a cinema before - and i have been to the THX approved screens at the Warner Village in Ellesmere Port. By proper i mean 'feeling' the sub 20hz bass; i guess i can feel it but certainly nowhere near the amount as compared to what i can at home,

obviously the cinema has a large vacuous hole to fill compared to my living room but still i'm often left feeling distinctly underwhelmed and look forward to the dvd release - in fact it's rare i even go to the cinema at the moment, been twice in 6 months or something :/

Still i'd crossed this one off as being a 'pearl harbour' summer-blockbuster-pedantic-crap film but maybe with Army Bloke's ill be tempted to go see it. Having studied the Odyssey and some of the Iliad for A level a couple of years ago it might be interesting to see how much of the original story theyve changed for cinematic licence..

Should be a good excuse to procrastinate revision at least ;)

edit: what's the colour needed to hide spoiler's in a quote box? ive left it at white but it looks a bit weird..

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I am looking forward to seeing Troy. Apparently Brian Cox is supposed to be good - is he?
    My local UCI has 8 channel SDDS and there is certainly plenty of sub 20Hz bass.
    There is a good review on the BBC Radio website here . Just click on the "Listen to Radio Five Live" and then "Mark Kermodes Film Reviews". As a point of fact, the guy seems to be very good and is always worth a listen, even if you don't agree with him. Kermode's comments about Quentin Tarantino at Cannes a case in point and if you can still find it, his review of Attack of the Clones was laugh out loud funny!.

Russell

8. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    saw this at the odeon leicester sq in a full house showing, and really enjoyed it. sound and vision was very good. i did have second thoughts after reading some reviews and thought what the heck, i'll make up my own mind.

all the money spent making the film is up on screen. i can't wait for the dvd to come out. odeon had it showing in dolby digital. can only imagine what sdds 8 channel would sound like!

like i said, if you have not seen it, give it a go!!

mahmood

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i saw it on saturday night at Star City Birmingham and it was great, the script is a bit clunky in places and the editor needs to be taken outside and shot - but all in all it was a great nearly 3 hours. the fights were superb (hector and achilles - is one of the best two handers i've ever seen) Brad was fantastic.

See it on a big screen its well worth the effort.

Gary

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the way through the movie, I was trying to work out why the trojans had big cut out segments on their shields...you finally find out why during this fight...

11. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I saw Troy last night. I went in to the film with high expectations, not having seen any reviews (are they bad then?). I certainly wasn't dissapointed, it was superb.

The action/fight scenes were excellent and certainly up there with ROTK! Performances were good all round especially Brian Cox and Brad Pitt. Thought Bana did a great job too, and grew in to the role as the film went on you cared more and more about him.

Ok there were a few dodgy lines and its hard to care about one particular person with so many characters in it but all in all I loved it!

I'd say it was on a par with gladiator (sorry the comparison had to be made!) which I loved, and its on my must buy DVD list

Awesome! :clap:

Cheers Rob

12. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I went to the cinema yesterday with a friend and had the choice of Van Helsing or Troy. She wanted to see Van Helsing, so that's what we saw :thumbsdow

Cheers,
    Liam

13. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    LOL! @ lmccauley!

you shouldn't have had too much trouble persuading her other wise....c'mon you only need to say Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom!!

i dont have too much trouble persuading my other half, she generally has good taste anyway and i keep her sweet with the occasional cr@p rom-com!! :smoke:

Rob

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was actually Mrs Bloke that dragged me to see Troy... :blush: I was adamant I was going to see just how bad Van Helsing actually is... :suicide:
    She really is my BETTER half you know...
    Brian Cox is good at playing nasties...I can't actually imagine him playing anything else TBH.
    I think the only way it can be compared to Gladiator is the fact that they are both skirt and sandals epics. Story's were completly different, and with a gun held to my head, I would say I enjoyed Troy more. I don't think it can be said here how good Brad Pitt actually is here. To me, his best performance before this was in Snatch...this is far better and his street cred as an actor (not just eye candy) has gone up 10 fold...

15. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    lol! hope you thanked her afterwards!

Agreed Brad Pitt is excellent but i think he has been consistently excellent in most of his recent films especially Fight Club and Snatch.

I think there are comparisons to be made with Gladiator, the one on one battles are similiar and just as good if not better! A lot of the dialogue is also familiar, i remember hearing something very like "what we do in this life echoes an eternity" and also something about "in this life or the next" which were straight out of the Gladiator script. Of course there are many differences too and maybe it would be unfair to put them against each other. but i enjoyed both of them equally!

Cheers rob :)

16. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too enjoyed Troy immensely, although I enjoyed the performance of Eric Bana (as Hector) far more than Brad Pitt's performance which I found slightly overdone.

However, I disagree with the quote above. I think that Gladiator is the better movie. The characters and sets felt far more authentic, and I felt that the SFX in Troy could have been better. A great piece of entertainment though.

17. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    This is a great film

I give it 4.25 out of 5

We even had an itermission half way through which I liked as I could settle down for the next half of the film

18. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826

INTERMISSION!!!! thank god that didnt happen when i saw it - i'd have gone nuts!!!

19. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,174
    Hi,

Good film, a little long. Pitt was really good. Any other actor who could of played that part, yes Crowe!.

Enjoyed Gladitor more, as it came first.

Spoiler;

Why did no one on the castle fire arrows down on Pitt when he dragged Hector way. Thought that was silly.

Also, when the above fight took place, i dont know if other cinemas had this, at UGC in rochester, the colour yellow kept going up and down on the screen for 10 mins!.

The ending seemed rushed, soon as the gift horse was in the castle, it came to a quick halt. oh well.

Problems with so called epics, is that i keep comparing to TLOTR trilogy, and they dont complete.

7/10

rai

20. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Brad's performances in Fight Club and Snatch have been noted, but no-one rates his performance in 'Seven'? I thought he was superb :lesson:

21. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was quite disappointed

the dialogue was beyond cheese in places. However, the major problem is that in all these films you have a hero to support, in this film only hector was remotely likable. Achilles was an arogant nutter and Paris a wet weasel.

The battle scenes were fantastic I must agree, but this certainly was no Gladiator; far from it infact.

If we are doing out of 5 I would give it a generous 3

The mrs loved it by the way. We have these passes 2, we have had them for what must be 4 years now; fantastic vfm especially as they were £10 to begin with. Pick and mix is a whole different issue.

22. alfienoakes

alfienoakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Just got back from seeing this. Wasn't expecting much going on reviews, but was pleasantly surprised.

Bana was excellent, much better than Pitt IMO. Never seen the actress that played Helen before. She was sweet ;)

Dunno if anyone noticed this, and it may be just my geography being out (and maybe the Greeks' maps), but when did the sun start rising in the west?

If anyone who works in the Maidstone Odeon reads this, go and get some oil for the seats. People get a little fidgety after 2+ hours with minimal leg room, and squeak-squeak gets a tad annoying during some of the quieter scenes!

7/10

23. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Thats why you need an intermission

24. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826

:offtopic: I think you need to find a new cinema and ditch the Odeon :smoke:

Gary

25. alfienoakes

alfienoakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Hehe. I had freebie preview tickets. Would never go there normally ;)

26. family man

family man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought this was a magnificant film in almost every way. Infact when I came out I couldnt really fault it.

I seem to be in the minority though!!

27. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw this last night and have to say i thought it was great brad pitt and eric bana were top class best film in ages :smashin:

28. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    Good idea for long film as you can get up and have a walk and prevent DVT or go and get a choc-ice. ;)

I was reading some reviews from the States from critics and they did not seem to like it, I think they said there was little if no character development.

29. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh dear!!

Seem to be in the minority here, but I thought Troy was very poor.
    Appeared to be a cross between Gladiator and LOTR with a bit of Master and Commander thrown in.."Hold the line! Strength and honour! In this life or the next! etc." and that Wailing woman kept wailing all too often before and during any scene of note!

In fact I kept expecting Russel Crowe to pop up at any minute and save the day..

Brad Pitt was terribly cast in my opinion. This was a Russel Crowe, Mel Gibson type role, Brad was just too cheesy. Even my girlfriend thought he was poor.

But for me the script was the poorest element.
    There is a classic example where a soldier is calving something..Sean Bean turns to him and says "that's good" ?!!?? why?? was this or many other poor scenes left in this film - it was cringe-worthy!

It's not all bad, but I won't be getting it out on DVD!!
    Overall I was quite disappointed.

30. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoiler:
    Er...because the guy was carving a wooden horse...correct me if I'm wrong, but do you not think if this scene was removed, the element of where the wooden horse idea came from would have been lost...

Maybe you need to go and see it again mate... :thumbsup: