1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw them unpacking the LG LP1

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by demostenes, Sep 24, 2005.

1. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Have u guys seen the new LG 32LP1 LCD ? Seen 1 of them being unpacked and found out they are beautiful as well as full of potential

1366x768 resolution ("HS" Ready)
    1200:1 contrast 600:1 bright
    FULL of connections DVI,hdmi,component (SD, progressive scan and HD), 9-2 card reader... thats very good :smashin:
    freeview

and looks VERY nice :smashin:

even think that the 1 in store had in/out toslink

for full specs see here :

http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.d...tId=01&modelCodeDisplay=32LP1D&model=NOTHING#

Any reviews or tests?

2. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    whats the difference between this and the LX2R 32" model ???

just the IDTV or what. can someone actually answer this as its been banded about and knowone seems to know :rolleyes:

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I was looking at the 37" in a Dixons store today running a Hi Def feed. PQ as you might expect from Hi Def would blow your socks off - very good indeed. Although a nice looking t.v. the side speakers add a lot of width to this product which given the option to place them underneath leaves me to discount it. Actually if you sprayed the set silver it would bear a striking resemblance to the Philips 37PF5520D/10, perhaps not surprising as Philips LG have a flat panel manufacturing alliance. See picture of Philips

4. freekb

freekb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one... Its a good TV. I'm happy with it.

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Have looked at the LG again today, and the more I see it the more I am convinced it is the Philips 37PF5520D/10 in new clothes. However, whether it merits a £500 price uplift from the Philips is more debatable - I remain to be convinced. On top of this, coming in at 43" in width it is a bit of a beast when compared to the Tosh or JVC 37" models as they come in at a super Kate Moss slim 36".

6. freekbear

freekbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doubt it that the LG is just a rebadged one.
    (I've looked only at the 32" line)

1. Viewing angle is 178 (LG) vs 176 (Philips) - likely to be different panels.
    2. Vesa mount is different
    3. Picture processing is different (XD (LG) vs bits and bobs)
    4. No PC support over 1024x768 for philips, but LG supports 1:1 1360x768
    5. 8 ms (LG) vs 18ms response time (37" inch philips has 16ms)
    6. Brightness & Contrast:
    600 cm2 / 1200:1 for LG,
    500 cm2 / 600:1 for philips.

The LG is better specced, I'd say.

7. Drifty

Drifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you use freeview at all? if so, how does it look? (ie: any pixelation, blocking, motion blur etc?

Ta - Drifty

8. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do u think its a good choice for a LCD?

And compared to the JVC LT-37/32DF7 LCD or the samsung LE32R41... generaly speaking??

9. freekbear

freekbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't watch TV at all, I only watch DVD and AVI.
    Some of the AVI's are rather poor quality, and probably comparable with freeview (although I've never watched a freeview broadcast in my life).
    Also, the scaling is handled by the PC and not the TV, so it is probably better than you would get with the TV.

Keeping that in mind, here's my take on highly compressed sources:
    - Pixellation/noise: none

- solarisation: a bit, no different from a CRT

- blocking: yes, a bit, mostly on smooth color gradient surfaces. Again, no different from a CRT, because it's an artefact of compression, not the TV.

- motion blur: The 'ghosting' is never cause by the TV, it's really good when it comes to that -fast games work fine. Again, with low bitrate sources you will always get worse image quality on fast motion, because more of the screen changes and very quickly at that, therefore needing to drop more image detail - or need more bandwith.

The only image quality complaint I have with this TV is the level of blackness, it's okay, but not deep and inky unless you're positioned just right. It's viewing angle related. The panel has a good viewing angle, but the blacks are the most sensitive to the angle. The weird thing (probably a contrast perception thing in the brain) is that only on dark scenes show this effect, normal blacks in 'daylight' scenes are properly inky black.
    - I've not twiddled with the backlight yet (if it is twiddable at all).

10. freekbear

freekbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice: yes. I only use it connected to a PC (for games, DVD,...) and it just works. No grief to get it going with 1:1 pixelmapping at 1360x768.

I had a look at the samsung, comparing it in a shop (I know) with a reasonably good source, and I wasn't impressed. It was a bit 'ghosty' the image. I didn't like that the sammy only has VGA rather than DVI, the tearing (fixable now apparently) and the greenshift (not often reported). If you're happy with the VGA and don't mind sorting out that tearing issue - go with the sammy, it's really cheap for what you get. I wasn't convinced (PQ wise) when I saw it though and I much prefer the 32LP1D's looks.

I don't know the DF7 JVC, but I did look at the 32DS6B and dismissed it for some reason (probably buzzing or no 1:1 pixel mapping at 1360x768)