1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw the Manics last night..again !

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Bristol Pete, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Saw the Manics at Bristol Colston hall. Once again, superb.

A great set - more or less a greatest hits.

What a band.

Pete.

2. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Me too - cracking gig - (even though I could only get seating tickets.... :boring: ). They must have played for about 1h45.

TBH I kinda forgot how good they were - I've seen them a few times before, around '96/97, but the stuff they've done since is so good. Played a few off the new album - Empty Souls & Solitude sounded really good. Loved the acoustic version of Everlasting.

Felt a bit sorry for the rhythm guitarist though - he had to stand in a dark corner all night, barely got a mention. I really don't think Richey's coming back guys.....

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,138
    I am going to see them at Newcastle on Thursday night, saw them in January at Glasgow. Superb band live.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,947
    It's times like this I realise what I miss out on with my bloody tinnitus! I could never risk going to another concert with the ringing in my ears as it is now. I'm even avoiding going to see Star Wars EpIII at the cinema cos I'm scared that will make things worse. Gutted! At least I have seen the Manics once though! Ironically it was going to see one of my favourite groups The Charlatans at Doncaster dome years ago that did the damage to my hearing (in my opinion anyway). Bloody brilliant gig though, wouldn't have missed it for the world! Enjoy the concert on Thursday Phil...

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Mine is pretty bad too, though in day to day living I dont hear it but when I stop and chill out ~ well, then it is always there :(

It did get progressively worse after I saw A, Goldfinger and the Voodoo Glow skulls on the same bill. :suicide: - and I forgot my earplugs. :mad:

Apparently, the average 22 year old now has tinnitus due to modern life.

Pete.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I havn't noticed it despite attending loads of gigs over the years (actually I'm 22 in a matter of days now so hopefully close enough to comment) plus I always have music on - albeit at a sensible volume for fear of damaging my hearing. Never seen the Manics but the loudest gig I've attended was 4ft Fingers at the Camden Underworld a couple of years ago.

I suppose the chances of even noticing tinnitus in the modern world are getting slimmer as noise levels increase. :suicide:

EDIT: Actually, I saw the Manics at Reading a couple of years back and they played very well but unfortunately aren't really my think. :)

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,138
    Well all I can say is WOW! They were fantastic last night, the soundmix was spot on, the band played very tightly and the energy and atmosphere were great. Pity it was all seating in the venue as it made it hard to move about and jump about like an idiot, but my voice has gone today from singing my heart out. I have yet to see a band who can match the Manics in a live venue, stunning!
    And the support act (The Delays) were also very good, I might even buy their CD.

8. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the Manics quite a few years ago now on a TV set of a program like 'the word', cant remember what it was called but it was a live 40min set and Ritchie James was in the band then!!! Superb. I have always loved the manics, one of the best and most underated british bands going. Oh the good ol days, eh!!!

9. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Saw them last night @ Edinburgh Corn Exchange.

They were really good, but the buggers didn't play an encore, which was a bit disappointing.

10. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,138
    For those who have never seen the Manics live, they never ever play an encore.

11. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    That was the thing, when i saw them a few years ago at T in the Park, they did.