1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw Spider-Man 2 on premiere day

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Wasabi, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    An absolute amazing super film!

And it is even better than the first one imho.

It's human, funny, has awesome action and good characters, and it looks like Spidey really exists in the real world, so good and true are the colours in the film

I can't describe it more, I let you all go and watch it ;D

Can't wait until Spidey-3!

Who will be the next villain depends on many factors.

Sony has contract to film 6 Spidey films, but Toby Maguire, Kirsten Dunst and Sam Raimi has only contract for 3 films, and all 3 have doubts on continuing, unless the scripts are really really good.

It would be a major blow for Sony, if they didn't keep all 3.

I don't wanna spoil the ending, regarding enemies for the next film.

The question when Venom and possible Carnage will be introduced. Of course fans hopes for these 2 appears, and forget Hob-goblin, Lizzard and Green Goblin 2, but I guess they have to follow the timeline somewhat.

A possibility for Spidey 3 could be

Green Goblin 2 and or Hobgoblin ( a shame though as it is like Spidey 1)

While Venom, praying Sony manages to keep the cast and director, should be introduced in Spidey 4, Lizard in 5, and perhaps the death of Spidey and Venom in 6, while off shooting Carnage??

Wasabi

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree, it's a great movie that is better than it's prequel. Nice story, slow at the beginning but never boring, lot's but not too much action and great special effects.

* * * * 1/2 out of 5

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember the Superman movies? 1 & 2 awesome!! The rest - total dross!! Lets hope this dosen't go the same way...

4. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Does anyone know if the there will be any advanced screening this weekend of Spiddy 2?

5. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I think the earliest is 15th July!

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    They've already started setting up the character of the Lizard - Doc Connors, and if they follow the early books, they also have characters like the Vulture, Sandman, Electro, Mysterio, Rhino and The Scorpion to choose from. Characters like the Tinkerer, Chameleon enforcers etc are probably too limited to provide the action of the first two movies though.

I think Scorpion and the Lizard are more likely, but as they've changed so much of the timeline, anything is possible. Gwen Stacy doesn't exist, and it would be too soon to have Harry become GG2. Hobgoblin is just another take on GG, so even less likely IMHO. Venom/Carnage are the only two modern villains of any real note, but it seems too early to have them in the movies yet.

I've not seen Spidey 2 yet, but I think I'd like to see JJ want to get rid of Spidey and create the Scorpion like he did in the comics. Unfortunately I don't think they've developed JJ into the character who would want to be part of something like that.

Someone mentioned that now that John J is on the scene, it could be possible to follow the 90s animated story of the symbiont coming to earth via a space shuttle (piloted by John) or similar. More feasable than the Secret Wars and 'The Beyonder'. :)

It's a pity they didn't keep PP in school - some of the Flash Thompson stuff such as the boxing match could be made into a funny skit like it was in the comic - could have worked well with the Lizard instead of the 'Living brain' rampaging through the school.

By adding modern elements with the old, they've missed out on some great early opertunities, but they could still mimic the death of Gwen - maybe MJ could get killed if they re-introduce the Goblin in a later movie and have him (Harry) throw her from the bridge... Betty Brant was PPs first girlfriend until Gwen showed up, so maybe there's another opertunity. Somehow I thin they're going to keep MJ as part of PPs life, and that's a big mistake IMHO - the comic worked much better when PP was at home and his gfs didn't know he was Spidey.

There was a lot more humour in the Ditko/Lee plotted issues than the later ones, and much of that was when he was living with May and still at school. A lot of fun opertunites have been missed, but some can still be reworked I guess.

I'm hoping to see the new movie very soon, and from the clips I've seen, it does look like an even better job than the first one. :)

Gary.

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just arrived home from a midnight showing of this.

Must disagree with the earlier post re. "Superman 2" - thought that it was a noticeable drop in quality from the classic first movie (although not as great a nosedive as 3 and 4!) whereas Spidey 2 was terrific fun and every bit as good as the first.

Lots of thumbs up!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

8. janon990

janon990

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    I like the early characters as well but how good can the Lizard be because Spidey needs to be against a villain that can plot, the lizard was more or less pro reptile in his alter ego and was good as Doctor Connors, same with the Rhino he seemed limited in his actions just running at things! I would like to see Sandman, Scorpion, and Mysterio (in particular) would have some good plotting and action could be base round them.

The Gwen Stacy plot was used in the first film i.e. Mary Jane was thrown of the bridge by the Green Goblin.

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    The GS plot was used, but the whole point of Gwen is that she was PPs big true love and she was killed (By Spidey trying to catch her) after being thrown from the bridge by the Goblin. Apart from getting thrown off, there's no other elements remaining with the current MJ that can make the legacy such a large part of PPs life. Even today 30 years later, Gwen is still a big part of the Spider-man lore, and is often mentioned in the stories. She's actualy in the latest plot as we speak.

Another event was the death of Gwens father in issue 90 - and the fact he knew Spidey was PP which was a surprise at the time. :)

I think they've had to compromise a great deal on the history in order for it to appeal to the non comic reading people as well as trying to keep us oldies happy. :)

I wonder if they'll try to feature the events of issues 32/33 with Spidey lifting of the huge machinery - that was quite a good issue at the time, so I wonder If Raimey will try to fit it in somewhere.

Gary.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    I notice they have recently altered her death from shock to a broken neck.

Are you talking about Sins of the Past? I have a few of these to pick up and then read once I get all the 5.

Yes I thing they used issues 121 and 122 up very quick in the first movie. It is a shame they did not start with Liz or Betty or even better Gwen then moved onto MJ. The death of Gwen was one of the biggest shocks up to that time in Marvel history and was reliably informed that the plotter got some death threats at the time so much loved was Gwen Stacy character.

I see from a trailer that they have included a bit from issue 50.

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    If you've got issue 121, you'll see that her neck snaps when Spidey's webbing catches her, so I think it's always been death by a broken neck - I think it was Gobbys comments that threw people off.

Gwen has been cropping up in one way or another over the years, and I was thinking of the back storry of Webspinners No1, and another more recent issue that featured Gwen in it.

I have a lot of trouble remembering storys by their titles - not sure why - maybe because I'm pretty much old fashioned I think with respect to remembering them by issue number. Plus tha fact my memory is going!!

I agree with you totaly regarding Liz and Betty and Gwen. I would have prefered the time line to have been stuck to a bit more accurately, but think they had to provide something that could make a movie for all who would see it. Like I said - a lot of good opertunities missed and will now have to be re-written to other characters if they're to be used as movie plots.

I think you're right about Gerry Conway getting some threats at the time - Stan Lee himself said he was quite surprised and dissapointed at him killing Gwen off, but as it turns out, it was probably the best and most historical event of the character other than getting bitten by the spider. :)

I think it was page 8 of issue 50 - drawn by John Romita Snr. I have to say that they do a pretty good job at times of showing Spidey as depicted by the artists - some of the swinging stuff in the first movie was similar to the way Ditko drew him, and apparently they've done some more Romita-like stuff in the second one.

Ock looks better than I first thought he would, though I don't know if I'll like the way the characters all seem to know each other. I see what you mean about the limitations of the Lizard (and Rhino too), though if that's what they do, I'm sure there'll be more too it than that - they made the Hulk a bit more than 'Hulk Smash', though to be honest, I didn't like Hulk movie much at all. What did you think of it?

Gary.

13. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I saw it last night and loved it!

the only cgi that let me down was at the end with doc oc, just before the LEDS went off (should be cryptic enough for those who have seen it to know when I mean!)

14. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :clap: Now this is a summer blockbuster :smashin: 9/10.

15. PaulJR

PaulJR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also give it a thumbs up. It was amazing. :thumbsup:

PaulR

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    Hi Gary

Do you have the original to hand? as when I read it I took it as death by shock, but in the reprints it can be seen the words SNAP as Spidey halts her fall and I though when I saw the reprints they have altered that, I also told my mate and he though her death was shock. Is it we missed it first time around because we was stunned by her death to notice the fine print, or are Marvel altering the mythos to put some blame and guilt on Spider-Man.
    I’m just reading Revenge of the Sinister Six and her death crops up in that.

Attached Files:

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Garrett,

I do have the poriginal to hand - the 'snap' is there just like the picture shows, but it's the Green Goblin who says whe would have been dead before she hist the ground:

"....She was dead before your webbing reached her!"

"A fall from that height would kill anyone--" "Before they struck the ground!"

Which of course is baloney, but Gobby/Conway may not have known that. It still seems to suggest that her neck snapped, and that she probably would have died on impact had Spidey not reached her anyway.

That's my interpretation of events anyway, but this controversy seems to crop up every few years with the same confusion!

Gary.

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    Thanks Gary for clearing that up 31 year mix up. :smashin:

19. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    You're welcome. :)

Where did you get the scan from - if you've got the issue in one form or another, it'll pretty much explain it I would think. It's in Essential Spidey isn't it?

Gary.

20. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Well, it’s taken over 25 years, but someone has finally made a superhero film that surpasses Richard Donner’s Superman: The Movie." This is a quote of dvdtalk's review of the film. Is it really THIS good. Surely Spiderman 2 is not actually better than Superman. I don't believe that for a second :nono:

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    I found it on the net.
    My copy of 121 is in the loft somewhere with 122..
    First time I saw the SNAP I was looking at a reprint of the comic and though they altered it. I was mad The Green Goblin came back but not Gwen but then GG biolegey had been changed. But they brought Gwen back as a clone. but wasn’t there a fairly recently story when the clones started dieing?

22. r47463

r47463
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw this tonight and thought it was quite poor. Very slow at times and I didn't find the acting between Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst convincing. The pace really hurt the storyline, and didn't learn from the mistakes of the first film. Some of the jokes e.g. mops falling out of the cupboard had people laughing out loud at the cinema. They brought a wry smile to my face but weren't that funny. The CGI was not so spectacular in some places. Doc Ock looked completely different in CGI form, and near the end where Spiderman turned away from the camera to jump away the transition to the CGI Spiderman was noticeable. The film's saving grace was really in Dr. Octavius and Parker's Grandmother. Overall I would give it 6/10.

Clearly this is a film were I am against the majority, like I was with 'Signs'.

23. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Well done r47463!!

I was absolutely gutted after I saw this film..so many great reviews...I came out so disappointed! I couldn't believe it and thought I needed to see it again.

It just didn't happen for me and I thought the script was a wee bit cheesy.."go get 'em tiger!".

Loved the first one, the second one wont be going in to my DVD collection :(

Although not overly bothered about it I thought the CGI in spiderman 2 the game is better in some places!

24. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Saw this at the weekend. Was really looking forward to it after reading som egreat reviews and I wasn’t dissapointed at all! :thumbsup: I loved it ! IMHO better than the first one, even more characterisation, brilliant action set pieces (loved the the fight on the train!) and some very funny moments in between (in the lift!) :laugh:
    It makes you really care about all characters (including the villians) Doc Ock was always my fave bad guy as a kid, and was great in the film!

I'd give it a 9/10. Cant wait for Spidey 3! :clap:

Cheers Rob

25. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Personally I thought that Doc Ock was only a small part of the film, I didn't think it was integral to the plot at all which was more about Peter Parker living with the responsibility of being Spiderman. I like that aspect of the movie/character, but it just felt like an average movie.

How much screen time did the Doc have? It couldn't have been much more than Dart Maul in TPM to justify really caring about the charactor. Cut out the times he was CGI and you are left with virtually nothing.

Perhaps you have to be a comic book fan to really appreciate it.

26. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    You may well be right - I started reading/collecting Marvel comics way back in 1972 when I was 9, and there's a huge amount of nostalgia involved for me when I read those comics again - I get the same kind of feelings of 'awe' etc that I had as a kid - or rather the memories of those moments I had as a kid. :)

So when I see these films now, I think my comic reading must have a huge influence on how I perceive the movie, so I'm probably not being as subjective as someone who merely sees it as a movie all by itself.

Gary.

27. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Saw this last night - have to say I was a little disappointed, maybe because there have been so many great reviews and my expectations were too high... I did enjoy it, but both the script and the special effects were a little ropey in places. I am not convinced by Tobey Maguire either, he is a little unconvincing as Peter Parker, and he has no chemistry with Kirsten Dunst. Saw them both interviewed together on MTV the other day and they looked very uncomfortable together in real life - body language was really bad! :laugh:

Enjoyable, but not as good as people are making out...

28. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    With you on that Lex it seemed to lack pace and not as good as what everyone was saying. It seemed to work more on an emotional level than on an action one. And why the heck did he
    did he keep taking the mask of at every opportunity

For fans of the comics there was few references in there i.e. issues 11, 12, 33, 50, and 90 but Stan Lee lived. ;)

As for the next villain will it looks as though GG and the Lizard together are the favourites.

29. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    just got back from seeing spidey 2 this afternoon. all i can say is i absolutly loved it. imo that is the pinicle of special effects and much much better than the 1st movie which i also loved. being a lover of the cartoon's (well when i was younger) i thought it stayed true to its roots. Doc Ock I thought was brilliant and molina played him to a T :) how cool were those CG tenticals. overall imo opinion excellent film one for all the family and now i cant wait for Spiderman 3 and DVD of Spidey 2.

30. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,022
    I think the arms were not CGI in most shots but had individual manipulators and each having a name, but in a lot of scenes I could spot the CGI. Molina although not playing him like in the comics (the script not him) played him excellently and was a shame he was not on the screen more of the time.