1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw II

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by raigraphixs, Oct 27, 2005.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,040
  2. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I'm off to see this tonight, really enjoyed the 1st one as i hadn't heard anything about it and didn't know what to expect.

46% doesn't look too promising, however there arent too many reviews yet and even some of the 'rotten' reviews are pretty good if you actually read them.

Hope it doesn't disappoint, unfortunately it's impossible to go in to the cinema with out any expectations as i did with the 1st one.

Rob

3. dave1de

dave1de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I havn't seen it yet, but i really dont think you can do the same film twice. I really don't have any hopes for it.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Anyone have any thoughts yet?

5. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,040
    Got back earlier from seeing it. And yes its good. But a little sickly. Quite a good story, can say to much. Worth watching, yes. Donnie Walhberg gives a fine performance.

It could of done with a little more atmosphere, than rely on fast edits that leave you dizzy, but it works. 7/10

Now be good in life, or you could end up being on Mr Jigsaw's list!.

6. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm really expecting nothing from this. I don't really want to see it but my girlfriend is getting her last chance to pick a cinema film. If this sucks, I choose from now on.

She's dragged us to Kicking and Screaming, Red Eye, The Ring 2 and Monster In Law, all of which both of us disliked.

I'm brought us to Batman Begins, Revenge of the Sith, Kung Fu Hustle, Serenity and a number of others with not one being disliked by either.

I want to see Corpse Bride though :(

7. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    we saw corpse bride. it wasnt bad

8. dave1de

dave1de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Apparently Saw 2 is shot in a greenish glow to feel like the cinema is a medievil dungeon, of which there is no escape.

9. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi all

I did manage to see this Friday night, the cinema was jam packed which helped the atmosphere and all showings were sold out! My expectations weren't too high, i really enjoyed the first one but thought it wouldn't be able to re-create the shocks of the original.

And in a way i was correct, you go in to the film knowing what sort of 'scenarios' to expect therefore reducing the (as i like to call it) 'holy sh*t factor' and as previously mentioned it is the same film again, well the same basic premise.

But that is not a bad thing, the first film was excellent while this film is the same less most of the originality, however it is still throuroughly enjoyable. It is quite graphic in its nature but you will know that if you've seen the 1st film, you will find yourself squirming in your seat (one particular scene comes to mind).

The acting is good all-round, both Donnie Wahlberg and Tobin Bell being excellent. The storyline is well structured and although slightly predictable in places does keep you guessing. I don't want to write too much about the story as not to give anything away.

All in all an enjoyable night out and certainly better than most other horror/thrillers that are about these days. It delivered on what it wanted to do. Dont expect anything too original or groundbreaking and you wont be disappointed.

I'd give it a 7/10. :thumbsup:

Cheers Rob

10. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Utter crap. Saw the twist coming a mile away, and it wasn't scary in the least. I loved the first one. This was a major disappointment, as I expected really.

11. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Very poor film.

Set up well with the first scene, where we thought more of the same was to come - but very disappointed.

Didn't really care whether anyone lived or died and many of the victims just coughed and died - where were the puzzles ?

As for the ending, just seemed to come really quickly like they had run out of ideas.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

12. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    good film but i think 1st was better

saw 1: 9/10
    saw 2: 7/10

were getting saw3 next year too

13. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    And your opinion is right.

I really think the first one was great, and it didn't need a sequel (plus the way they forced the tie in with the first one was a bit stupid). It tried to be too clever for it's own good.

To make matters worse, the success of Saw has rumours of a sequel to Se7en floating around.....

14. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Agreed there was no need for a sequel, but these days it is inevitable. :rolleyes:

Maybe my low expectations caused me to enjoy it more than i should have! Anyway i did enjoy it and i certainly wouldn't call it utter crap, but i can see where your points come from and i'm sure some more people will also be disappointed but some will also enjoy.

And about a sequel to Se7en...... :nono:

Rob

15. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Utter crap was perhaps a bit harsh. It's a 4/10 movie at best. The opening scene, which was excellent, perhaps built it up for a fall.

16. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yep, absolute rubbish. It took the first film, removed any suspense and creepiness, replaced it with vast amounts of OTT violence and gore, and kept the ridiculously laughable ending.

I normally quite like violence in movies, as long as it is used properly. This was just disgusting for the sake of being disgusting. It didn't scare me or shock me, as say Silence of The Lambs or Seven did, it just made me go, "eurgh... It there really a need for that?". Violence doesn't make a movie scary, the context in which it is used is what makes it scary.

Funnily enough, I watched Seven a couple of days ago. I was amazed at how much.. ahem.. 'inspiration' Saw took from it.

17. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I went along to see this fully expecting to hate it. Which might be the reason I actually thought it was pretty good. I think that beyond the over the top gore there was some good ideas, some good tension and overall not bad at all.

Its certainly not a classic, but I think it did actually tie in quite well with first. Some of the scenes towards the end were quite chilling.

Lots of the ideas were 'borrowed' like people say from movies like Seven, but for me it reminded me a lot more of films like 'the cube'.

I actually didnt 'work it out' while I was watching but think that although the plot didnt go particularly deep and twisty it did enough to raise it from a run-of-mill-slasher to something of more substance.

The cinema was full to the brim for me too, so I think that did help the enjoyment more than an empty screening would have.

So to give marks I would say

Saw I - 7.5/10
    Saw II - 6.5/10

Would be tricky to be as good as the first as the first was fairly original and out of left-field