Saw for Cutting Solid Wood Flooring?

meansizzler

Ex Member
Reaction score
After 20 minutes of use the Manual Mitre Saw I got form homebase broke, reason I use a mitre rather than a jigsaw is because I can cut straight with it, anyone have any experience with cutting solid wood flooring what would you recommend for cutting straight and quickly, but not too quickly?..

You can buy saws specifically for cutting flooring - they look like tenon saws but they usually have a rounded end rather than a straight end, like these.

If you're talking about electric saw, you can't go wrong with a circular saw - just set the depth correctly and away you go. You will still need to do corners/edges manually using this method though.

Last edited:
You can buy saws specifically for cutting flooring - they look like tenon saws but they usually have a rounded end rather than a straight end, like these.
If you don't have a local Screwfix, Wickes do them as well.

If you're talking about electric saw, you can't go wrong with a circular saw - just set the depth correctly and away you go. You will still need to do corners/edges manually using this method though.

A floorboard saw is designed for cutting floorboards in situ (so that you can access pipes etc)

I think the OP is after something that will cut them on the workbench - in which case a chop saw or sliding compound mitre saw will be his best bet.

He hasn't however given us a budget or told us the timber size - basically if the strips are narrow, he'll get away with chop saw, other wise he'll need the sliding compound mitre saw.

Like I said :)

A floorboard saw is designed for cutting floorboards in situ (so that you can access pipes etc)

Yeah, for some reason (nothing to do with the OP) I got it into my head that he wanted to cut out flooring that was in place. (it might be because I've been doing a lot of it myself recently!)

I'm not that 'technical' but when I fitted my laminate I purchased a Black & Decker Jigsaw. The standard blade that comes with it maybe won't be up to the job but you can get loads of different fittings cheap as chips eg wood, metal etc.

Cost me about £30 and made it an absolute breeze.

you can use what ever you like but a compound mitre saw will make the cuts nice and straight giving a nice finish. a hand saw will be hard work as the wood is thick and a jigsaw is fine for laminate but its hard to cut straight with these.

bare in mind sold wood flooring is alot thicker than laminate making it harder to cut and as its all wood rather than MDF this also makes it harder to cut aswell

Use a jigsaw. If done properly, all cuts will end up underneath the skirting board

Use a jigsaw. If done properly, all cuts will end up underneath the skirting board

That works in most cases for laminate - but for solid wood flooring, you often have to trim the ends of pieces that are going to be butt jointed in the middle of the floor - in which case a decent chop saw or compound mitre saw is the only option. (or a few years of practice with hand tools)

If the OP does end up with the above, I'd recommend putting the piece to be cut on the saw upside down - so that the saw teeth bite into the underside.
Alternativelty if using a sliding CM saw, put it in the right way up and take a very light cut (less than a mm) - either way will reduce splinters and tearing on the edge.

Of course the OP could have a kit of solid wood flooring already prepared, in which case a jigsaw would work.

If you are using solid oak get the type that has tongue and groove on all the edges, then the only cutting will be hidden with skirting or beading.
If you are going to use a jigsaw buy a pack of down-cutting blades instead of the standard up-cutting. You wont need to cut from the underneath then :D

John..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom