Saw A 4:3 Anamorphic DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garrett

Reaction score
I was looking at a DVD today The Phoenix Saga on the back it had 4:3 anamorphic? I do not think it is 16:9 picture, and got the anamorphic bit wrong? If not what is the point in showing a 4:3 in anamorphic? :confused:

Its got to be the same thing. An anamorphic 16:9 is actualy a 4:3 frame but squeezed verticaly. Then the 16:9 TV stetches the image to fill the frame and restore the proper shape. Or your 4:3 TV might have a switch to squeeze the image horizonally but youll end up with black bars top and bottom. Both are the same thing.

I don't know about the DVD in question, and have never experienced an anamorphic 4x3 DVD.

BUT: When ITV digital was still functioning, the Carlton Cinema channel always broadcast its signal in 16x9 (ie anamorphic) despite the fact that most of their output was 4x3. I recall other channels doing the same.

Imagine a day, sometime in the future, when:

all TVs are 16x9
all DVDs and TV broadcasts are 16x9 (even when the contents are 4x3).

What we lose: A small amount of horizontal definition.
What we gain: A complete absence of user confusion over aspect ratios, and every TV on display in Curry's showing a picture correctly. You only have to trawl these forums and others to see how many users still can't cope with 'anamorphic' as a concept.

I believe that such a day will come. It may take national adoption of HDTV for it to happen, but it will come.

The only thing is you are goosed if you us a smart mode to fill the TV.

Currys displaying every t.v correctly , i dont see that day ever coming!!

Originally posted by nigel
BUT: When ITV digital was still functioning, the Carlton Cinema channel always broadcast its signal in 16x9 (ie anamorphic) despite the fact that most of their output was 4x3. I recall other channels doing the same.

still the case now on itvdigital with channel5 and the beeb broadcasting everything in 16:9

like you said, saves confusion and means I can leave my TV and projector in 16:9 mode and not have to worry about it

A bit annoying when they broadcast a 4x3 letterboxed version though...crazy but luckily not seen this for a while.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom