Saving Private Ryan - Which Version?

Rajibear

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hiya

As probably the only person not to own a copy of this film, which is the best version to get at the moment. I cant stretch to the WW2 Box sets, so was thinking of getting the R2 60th Anniversary Edition. Is there any reason to get any of the R1 releases instead of this?

Cheers

Rajibear

I'd go for the R2 60th anniversary edition for £5.99 in Virgin as the R1 equivalent doesn't have :dts:

I presume you mean £5.99 instore , on their website it is £20?

Rajibear

yep its 5.99 instore :smashin: picked one up last week, its a 2 disc digipack

i feel i must add that i have the original 1 disc dd5.1 edition for sale in my sale thread :p

Get any version with DTS. Head and shoulders above the DD version. Truly reference level stuff. Try DVD Beaver for a comparison of the different discs.
Des.

AYE, DTS version is amazing :thumbsup:

Will do until we have a HD version (which I can only imagine is going to be astonishing) :)

marc_angelus said:
I'd go for the R2 60th anniversary edition for £5.99 in Virgin as the R1 equivalent doesn't have :dts:

This is the version I have and the DTS soundtrack is incredible, especially that harrowing first 20 minute scene.

eviljohn2 said:
As impressive as the first 20 minutes are I still find the rest of the film interminable. I blame Tom Hanks. :)

I thought The Thin Red Line was better myself :)

Thanks for the tip of Marc, picked up the d-day edition for 5.99 from Virgin in Oxford Street

Rajibear

eviljohn2 said:
I've got the standard DTS version (it was about £6 in some HMV sale) but as impressive as the first 20 minutes are I still find the rest of the film interminable. I blame Tom Hanks. :)

Personally I think it's superb:)

Definately go for the DTS version, I also remember being blown away by this in Dolby Digital on laserdisc, but that may simply be a case of rose tinted glasses:)

Rajibear said:
Thanks for the tip of Marc, picked up the d-day edition for 5.99 from Virgin in Oxford Street

Rajibear

glad to be of assistance :smashin: don't forget to let us know what you thought of the movie (and the :dts: ) after you've watched it :)

Tejstar said:
I thought The Thin Red Line was better myself :)

Steady!! only an opinion but i thought it was really dull. and what ever can be said about Ryan - it gave us Band Of Brothers :thumbsup:

Gary

Smurfin said:
Personally I think it's superb:)

Definately go for the DTS version, I also remember being blown away by this in Dolby Digital on laserdisc, but that may simply be a case of rose tinted glasses:)

Ditto the Superb bit :)

As well as the opening 25 minutes (which everyone quite rightly talks about) the final 50 minute showdown is awesome too.

Crank up the volume and prepared to be blown away :thumbsup:

Hi Smurf ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom