1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving Private Ryan R1 DTS - faulty disc?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Timmie Boy, Aug 13, 2000.

1. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chapter 4 after 23 mins the flames in the background have flare/smearing going horizontally up the screen. I have noticed this smearing in other parts of the film. Play 247 recognise the problem but thats how they,ve been printed, they reckon! Now come on! Do I ask for my money back or try another disc?
    BTW i hired the VHS version and i can tell you that DTS wasn't alot better!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can assure you that this is on every disc, if you mean a white smearing effect then that was there at the cinema aswell. BTW if you got the VHS why didn't you check that for the same thing? Also, are you watching the same SPR DTS I did? Blows the VHS surround all over the place IMHO.

3. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VHS version was picture and sound perfect. Here we are in digital age and theres no excuse for poor quality on this disc. Whats the point? If there was a fault, it should never been published in the first place. This disc should scream DVD at me. I should be saying wow, not oh well it was like that in the cinema so it must be OK.

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    I own the DTS DVD and have witnessed no problems with the picture at all, a friend also has the disc and his to is fine.

Also I think you need to either clean out your ears or re-calibrate your system. I agree that the DTS Private Ryan and DD version are not a huge leap apart but the quality is definatly better with the DTS version.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem on my disc either.

------------------
    A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

©2000 Carol Vorderman™

My DVDs

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read interviews with the director of photography for SPR, and he said that the smearing of the picture as you describe is a deliberate photographic effect. I own a VHS copy of SPR as well as the DVD and I must admit the effect is not as noticable on the VHS version, but it is there.

7. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is an old issue, discussed many, many times on the newsgroups. The smearing effect is intentional and therefore present in every version of the movie, VHS included. It's probably more obvious on DVD because DVD is so much clearer than VHS. Spielberg had the lenses ground down to give the effect of (perhaps damaged) cameras of the time.
    Your DVD is not faulty - it is fine.
    To demonstrate the effect, there is a (largish) screen grab at http://www.homecinemachoice.com/images/movies/SavingPrivateRyan_1.jpg

8. Timmie Boy

Timmie Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys, you've just saved me some postage!
    Perhaps not such a good idea for the effect though, looks pretty amateurish to me!