1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - DD5.1 V DTS

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ROGER B, Nov 2, 2000.

1. ROGER B

ROGER B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE DTS VERSION OF SAVING PRIVATE RYAN IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE DD5.1 VERSION.

THE REASON IS THAT DIXONS ARE OFFERING THE RS RELEASE ON SHY DIGITAL FOR JUST £9.99.

AM I STILL BETTER GOING FOR THE DTS VERSION?

2. Matt @ DVD Debate

Matt @ DVD Debate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DTS Saving Private Ryan is generally regarded as the pinnacle of DVD sound, whther it's that much better than DD5.1 is debatable (I've personally only heard DTS), but I'd recommend anyone with DTS picks up the R1 DTS SPR.

AND STOP SHOUTING. [​IMG]

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +647
    What are Dixons offering for 9.99?

4. Matt @ DVD Debate

Matt @ DVD Debate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saving Private Ryan (R2, obviously), but only through Sky Digital Interactive, AFAIK.

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +647
    Oh I see.. Dixons ONLINE through OPEN via Sky digital have it at 9.99.. I see now.

Jon

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    I have a Dolby digital version of saving private ryan (R1) and can say that it is easily the best soundtrack I have heared.
    So whether its worth going for DTS I'm not sure. I can't believe it can get much better.
    I would say that SPV DD is better than most other DTS discs, and bettered only by its own
    DTS equivalent.

Ju

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,406
    The DTS version ( IMHO ) is better than the DD version but not by this great huge amount that lots seem to say.

The BASS is more focused and more defined and the dialouge is clearer with DTS but it is not a HUGE difference. Go for the DTS version if you can but dont worry if you cant as the DD version is still very good.

The rear effects on the two are again similar but the DTS version does place effects around the room with much more precision and it is here that you hear the biggest differences.

Other differences ( were DTS again wins slightly ) is in the sounding of the effects, the DTS soundtrack sounds slightly more real.

However if you can ONLY have R2 then you have to have DD. Its up to you as to if the DTS version is worth the extra but I would say it is

8. ROGER B

ROGER B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a dts Amp and can play R1 discs.

I have checked out dixons on open and there is a slight snag, delivery charge of..........................................................£3.49

i think ill be going for the dts R1 version.

thanks for all your advice

Roj.

9. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    OK, first I bought the DD version of Ryan and was very impressed, in fact I still think is possibly THE best sounding DD disc around. Then I decided to get the DTS version cause I'm a huge fan of the format and let me tell you - the DTS is version is a marked improvement over it's Dolby counterpart, most noticibly the bass has far more punch and impact to it and the surround effects are much more dynamic. It is THE best sounded discs on the market today - bar none.

BTW, I've got pretty much all the best sounding DTS dvds; T2, The Lost World, U-571 etc... And Saving Private Ryan is king.

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

10. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,406
    The thing that the DTS version of Private Ryan has above some over DTS titles is that it does not have a DD5.1 track as well.

When a DVD has both then the DTS track uses different sized compression techniques and so is not as good ( technically I suppose as ) as when it has the normal compression ala Private Ryan.

I have found that U-571 though sounded really good and for a dual soundtracked disc gave even Private Ryan a run for its money.

However with most dual soundrtack discs the difference between the two is only noticable in more delicate moments or when lots is going on