saving memories

tismehi

Standard Member
I have 3 differing formats of old recorded tapes. I have about 50 or so. Some are vhs-c, some 8mm and some mini dv.
I still have my mini dv camcorder, with charger and batteries. It does power on.
I've no other accessories for this. There was an 'av one touch station' supplied with the Panasonic camcorder, (model NV-DS33), and cables, but they got lost in a house move.
I still have the Sanyo 8mm camcorder, (model VN-EX30P), charger and battery, but it does not power on.

Is there a device available to buy that I could connect to these, and then to my laptop, in order to save the recordings?
I might well need different things of course as I understand that these are different formats.

There are lots of family memories on these recordings, that I feel I must save to digital and pass on to my children, and relatives, as I'm now getting on in years.
Any advice to help me to be able to share these memories would be most welcome.

12harry

Distinguished Member
Good Question and one that large organisations like EU should have addressed IMHO... That international / big firms take our money to save our memories and then forget us many years later .
+ I find the array of different Batteries similarly . . . It may be possible for a local Film-making-Club to help - but COVID has stopped all. Club members hate to throw away old gear they've loved.
But For Now:
It's possible your batteries are duf, despite having the correct charger. NiCd's were prone to going o/c - as did lead-acid before. Check that the Date/Time isn't propped up with a "Coin-Cell" these are likely to fail after about 3 years - and my JVC Camcorder would not work ( from new), without the Clock being active.
Sadly you may have left it too late, as the mechanics need to be kept moving to keep the bearings sweet and storage must be in a moderate dry area - which is not best for the batteries. Have you established if the mechanics work using only the charger?
At least running a blank-tape would get the bits moving again... prior to risking an old recording.
Making a new recording might be good to play with... marking which tape it is.

Cheers H.

tismehi

Standard Member
Good Question and one that large organisations like EU should have addressed IMHO... That international / big firms take our money to save our memories and then forget us many years later .
+ I find the array of different Batteries similarly . . . It may be possible for a local Film-making-Club to help - but COVID has stopped all. Club members hate to throw away old gear they've loved.
But For Now:
It's possible your batteries are duf, despite having the correct charger. NiCd's were prone to going o/c - as did lead-acid before. Check that the Date/Time isn't propped up with a "Coin-Cell" these are likely to fail after about 3 years - and my JVC Camcorder would not work ( from new), without the Clock being active.
Sadly you may have left it too late, as the mechanics need to be kept moving to keep the bearings sweet and storage must be in a moderate dry area - which is not best for the batteries. Have you established if the mechanics work using only the charger?
At least running a blank-tape would get the bits moving again... prior to risking an old recording.
Making a new recording might be good to play with... marking which tape it is.

Cheers H.
Thanks Harry. I have tried a cable direct from the charged to the camera, and it does not function at all. There's a light on in the charger too.
I might invest in a vhs-c adapter, and hope my vcr/dvd recorder still works.

I'm stomped with the other 2 formats still.
Cheers.
Joe.

12harry

Distinguished Member
VHS-C Adaptors are difficult to find now, and use an AA battery for the internal motor (DYOR)_ Secondhand ones may have corrosion due to leaving the battery-in.

If yr DVD Recorder works then get recording as soon as possible ! . . I find sourcing good blank DVDs is an issue . . . . luckily with a 30-min battery-life, I didn't have much VHS-C that I wanted to keep.
Modern Digital (SD Memory), camcorders/Cameras are a lot easier.... but no-doubt we'll find snags in a few years.

Good Luck.

D

Deleted member 765458

Less stress

tismehi

Standard Member
VHS-C Adaptors are difficult to find now, and use an AA battery for the internal motor (DYOR)_ Secondhand ones may have corrosion due to leaving the battery-in.

If yr DVD Recorder works then get recording as soon as possible ! . . I find sourcing good blank DVDs is an issue . . . . luckily with a 30-min battery-life, I didn't have much VHS-C that I wanted to keep.
Modern Digital (SD Memory), camcorders/Cameras are a lot easier.... but no-doubt we'll find snags in a few years.

Good Luck.
Thanks for your input. It helps.
Cheers.
Joe.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom