1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving in TIFF/PSD

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by martynk, Dec 1, 2004.

1. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I normally shoot in Hi Quality JPEG to save camera card space (cards are expensive here) but prefer to save/edit in TIFF or PSD to avoid image degradation. Can anyone explain how to save the whole folder/multiple images simultaneously to avoid the hassle of doing it individually? I assume it's possible in batch mode but I'm struggling here. Thanks.

2. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    It all depends what software you have. Photoshop Elements allows you to go to FILE, AUTOMATE and BATCH... then you can tell it to look through a folder and convert them all. and/or resize too

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    If you use Photoshop you will need to create an action. There are lots of tutorials on t'internet on how to do it but the idea is as follows...

Within P'shop open the actions pallette.

Create a new action. (This starts the recording function)
    Open a sample image and change it - resize, change the mode to get your desired image looking right etc., save and close the image. P'shop records all these changes. You then stop the record button.

You then go to File:automate:batch.

From here a dialog box pops up. You choose the action you want and decide whetehr you want to create a new folder to place your updated images in.

Press 'go' and you are off. As if by magic P'shop opens all your images and resaves them. So saving you countless hours. :clap:

it's great if you want to resize and rename as well - to create thumbnails for a website for example.

Chris

4. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Pure magic, and exactly what I wanted! I'd just about figured out that this was an action/batch process but couldn't get the hang of the recording step. Easy when someone tells you how to do it.

I can see further applications here. I don't mind individual editing for my personal shots, but I take a lot of photographs for work (loss adjusting). Most of the clients just want clear, sharp, images and aren't too bothered with the nuances of colour balance and all the rest of it, so I'll create an action which saves the images as TIFFs and applies some quick & dirty editing. Done. Should save a lot of time.

Martyn

5. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Whats the point in shooting the original in JPEG and then saving in TIFF afterwards?
    Is it just to prevent further degredation of the image?

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Aye. P'shop actions were a godsend once I discovered them. You can get some really complex actions going - even down to copying elements from one image and pasting into another. The save me and my company a huge amount of time.

geeWcee: every time you open and resave a JPEG image it recompresses the file and degrades it even further. Saving as TIFF will prevent this happening. But they do take masses more space up!

Chris

7. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. I'll love to shoot everything in RAW or TIFF but the big cards are just too expensive (I've got plenty of space on the PC) and the write delay (Dimage 7i) is a pain. A lot of these images are taken under poor conditions and need editing - this will save a lot of time and avoid degradation.

8. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yep Chris I know.... ;) Just wondered why he didnt use tiff when he took the images but he has since said he cant afford the card space.

fair enough.....

9. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    geeWcee: I explained why I want to shoot JPEG and save/edit as TIFF in my first post, because it does seem illogical ,and I assumed someone would want to know. I take 50 - 100 images at 1600 x 1200 most days I'm working on site. This fits onto a 128MB card, and suits me fine. I live in South Africa and just about all photo gear and accessories are very expensive compared with the UK and the USA - very small market/limited demand so the manufacturers don't allow the same exit prices, or offer the promo discounts. For example, a D70 with the kits lens costs around R16,000 here, that's about 1,400 pounds. I could probably buy bigger cards on the internet (cameras and lenses are problematical for several reasons) for quite a bit less than the local price, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle by the time you factor in the postage and, if they're sent by mail, there's a pretty good chance the Post Office will steal them. I'm not exaggerating.