1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saveing captured video

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by lornee, Jul 8, 2003.

1. lornee

lornee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a newbe and I've got my Sony TRV33, and had a capture card installed in my PC, which included Pinnacle Studio 8 se.
    I've shot some test footage and edited it and produced a trial movie, burnt it to SVCD and it all works!
    Now I'm looking to clear some space on my hard drive and was going to save the original captures to cd in case I ever wanted to access any of the shots, but some of these files are 1.5 GB!
    Can I compress them? do I just save the tape? and buy more tapes or just delete the lot? and thank you for any help you can give me.
    Lornee.

2. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    AFAIK the easiest thing would be to just save the tape. You could create a SVCD of the 1.5 GB footage but this would highly compress the footage and you would be saving degraded quality footage. By saving the tape you would be saving it uncompressed. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Electrolyte

3. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    tis the biggest problem to mankind. i usually sit down and think if i believe i ever will need the footage again. most of my early stuff bar the odd thing i've decided i might's well delete, so no real backup of that except the compressed stuff i might've made before.

dvd burners are very cheap now mind, and perfect for dv. 4.47gb per disc, thats about 20mins of dv. not much, but if you're desparate to keep a real backup, thats always an option.

4. lornee

lornee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I was not thinking of a DVD burner just yet, but Sony tapes are going to cost me £6 to £9 each. Perhaps I need to edit the tapes ( is this possible? maybe in the camcorder?) and just save the best bits.
    I would expect the Pinnacle editor not to actually do any real editing untill the rendering bit, is this correct?
    Lornee

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same dilemma. I worked out that harddisk space is actually the cheapest. I now have a disk array of 480Gb which only costed me £400...Fair-enough my motherboard was already prepared for it....
    I just keep on adding disks now in my setup. Also very usefull for digitising my CD collection.

Or if you really want it backed-up on other media, try ebay for a cheapish DLT recorder.

Cheers,

JP

6. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you can split your 1.5GB file on pinnacle you can save the files to CD-R as mpeg2.(you can always join them back together later)
    Although my Cam is a dvdcam and the files are already mpeg2 a disc from the dvdcam is about about 1.4GB per side ,video studio grabs them as each clip(every time i have pressed pause on the camera) so each clip is not that big.
    At 20p a disc or cheaper it's not bad and it's a hard copy if things go pear shaped.As they are mpeg2 they play straight from the cd-r on you computer with media player or Power dvd.
    Yeh it's a lot of cd-r but it's cheap(and it's not degraded to SVCD quality.

DVDCAM:smashin:

7. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Lornee,

I will say that the best way is to keep the tapes !!! However if you are paying £6 plus for tapes, change supplier! I can get the Panasonic MiniDV 60 mins tapes for around £2.50 + postage!

Getting them at this price makes sense to use once and keep!

Hope this helps

Mark T
    www.digistuff.co.uk

8. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can you please tell me where you get MiniDV tapes at that price?
    Cheers

9. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  10. lornee

lornee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input, I have found the best deal on tapes locally looks like Makro, and no postage to pay.