SAVE SPIKE!!! My poor cactus!

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I just noticed that my cactus Spike is ill/dead/dying...can he be saved or is it too late? It's probably because I neglected him for a few months and have not watered him for ages. :(

Spike.jpg

I am having problems finding Sunshine at the moment!!!

I feel your pain...

img0761h.jpg

Nothing I could do seemed to help :(

Gotta love the name.....

I'd try re-potting him, in a slightly larger pot - give him a bit of room to stretch his legs.

that would be a fun thing to attempt without thick gloves.

He's very much like you :thumbsup:

5 letters... beings with P......... I kid, I kid! Spike isn't one of them!

Cheers...but pack it in, you're distorting the balance of my Thanks/Thanked ratio!

Funnily enough, it looks like 3 people in this thread have managed to kill the same spieces of Cacti (me included). Perhaps they're more difficult to look after than most spieces.

No pics though. It was a difficult time, my camera had no charge etc.

Not sure what happened, it just went soft and started rotting, although I believe it may have been from a very hard frost when it lived in the greenhouse. All my others were absolutely fine. Some of them are flowering as I type.

Mine sat on a tray with 3 other cacti (all in their own pots) getting the same amount of light, air and water and started out looking like yours and just withered away while the other 3 are fine and happy. Maybe it was just old age?

Maybe it was just old age?

I doubt it somehow.

When I bought mine, I was told it would live for decades if cared for correctly and would only flower after something silly like 80 years :suicide:

Edit: Although having a read atm makes that seem like a load of ****

So I bought some cheap ones would now flower every year.

Last edited:
Mine sat on a tray with 3 other cacti (all in their own pots) getting the same amount of light, air and water and started out looking like yours and just withered away while the other 3 are fine and happy. Maybe it was just old age?

I have no idea. I think he's destined for the bin...apparently if there is a little green bit left I could chop it off and plant it and it might take root but it's a long shot and I have no Samurai sword to strike it from a distance in order to avoid pricks (no comments, I'm way ahead of you...except you Iccz, I just caught up and that wasn't very charitable)!

Apparently putting it in a larger pot and/or watering it heavily will actually help it to die...

However repotting it in soil containing the correct soil ratios may help.

I need cactus soil then...but the bottom is so mushy that there is no way he will stay in one piece.

Distill him for Tequila :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom