Save my PC (again) :(

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mekes82, Nov 1, 2005.

1. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hey all.

Something very strange is happening on my PC. Everything is taking AGES to load. When I crl-alt-delete and goto performance, it is continually showing cpu usage at 100%. There is nothing in the processors section showing that type of usage. This has me really baffed, I have no idea what is going on.

Does anybody have any advice on what I could do to investigate what in the blue moon is happening to my PC?

Save me again kind AVForums :lease:

~Mekes

Edit: Oh yeps, just found it. svchost.exe is running at a continuos 99. There is two of them, one behaving normal, the other screwing my life up :confused:

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SpyWare.
    Run something like Spybot or MS anti spyware software to clean yourself up

3. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Make sure you have no printing jobs running.

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    worth running McAfee stinger on there too... if it's not spyware it's a virus, Stinger will take care of it if so....

5. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks guys for the posts.

Ive managed to clean it up, I think. So far so good anyway. First I tried a fix for a 'welchia' worm which was unsuccessful, couldnt have been that. Then I tried a different program called 'WindowsXP-KB923980-x86-ENU.EXE' and that seems to have done the trick.

I actually have AVG Antivirus, Sygate Firewall and MS AntiSpyware. The scans I run always detect nothing. Its really strange, I would atleast expect MS AntiSpyware to find something. I mean I use my PC all the time, browse so many websites and download so much junk. I dont think my PC is virus free, but they never detect anything whatsoever.

Also, I cant install AdAware, which is the program I really want on my PC. My boot drive is labelled H:. A mixup when I built my PC with a 4 in 1 memory slot reader already installed. I get an error message on AdAwares startup saying something about no disk in drive. I guess it is to do with that.

6. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you go to Start,Settings,Control Panel,Administrative Tools,Computer Management,Storage,Disk Management it will list all your drives in your machine.

If you right click on the drive that says system you get the option to change your drive letter.

So go to the offending slot reader and reassign the drive letter on that to J for example then you can change your H(boot drive) drive to C once you have done that you can then rearrange your drives in the order you see fit.

I hope thats clear enough if not I will try and simplify it some more.

Good luck

Steve

7. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    would work except that you can't change the drive letter your OS is installed on.. Windows isn't that clever unfortunately..

8. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Yeah I enquired about the drive letter problem some time ago. Im pretty sure it cant be reassigned unless you reinstall windows.

Does MS AntiSpyware usually find a lot of problems? On my old machine AdAware would always find a lot of things to fix. But Ive ran maybe 20 scans with MS-AS over the past few months and it has never found ANY problem. Same with my AV. Is this normal? As I said I dont think my machine is as protected as these programs are saying. I have a sneaky suspition that it isnt the programs fault either. I think it would be down to my system setup, somehow. AVG AV and MS-AS definitely didnt pick up this virus I had earlier through the svchost.exe.

9. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    have you got the 'realtime protection' (cant remember the exact name) enabled on the MS antispyware?

is it set to autoupdate itself?

10. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I dont. To be honest I usually dont have it running. I just open it to scan once every few days. Should I enable the real time?

11. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    absolutely... that will stop anything else from sneaking on there. :)

12. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Just another word of advice on "Just changing drive letters" .... be VERY carefull when doing this. In this case as mentioned by The Dude, as its the O/S it won't change but, in the case of other drives be carefull as well!

You may need to re-install any apps that are installed on that drive as the registry and/or Ini files will be pointing the wrong way. Your "Recent Documents" may also be affected as well as any data mappings you have, for example, Media Player music library.

It is very easy to change the drive letter but, I wonder, should it be?

13. mekes82

mekes82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks The Dude. I think I recognize your handle from one of my previous threads y'know. My PC would be in the bin without you :D

Monty it sounds like too much of a pain. Thanks for explaining it for me tho. I seem to have pretty bad luck with PC's. Nothing too major has happened on this one yet, so fingers crossed. Had some problem with service pack 2 and random resets during downloads (which actually fried my hdd in the end!) And this latest problem with the virus. Ive had 3 PC's previous to this one, I wont go into detail, I need to keep some dignity! ;)

So.. For the time being I will enable all protection and surely (hopefully) have a long stetch without any problems!

Thanks again AVForums.

14. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    hey! :)

The TCP connection-limit rebooting thread.... I couldn't remember who that was until now... :hiya: