1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAVE me from the horrors of All-in-One HC!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dodocream, Mar 11, 2002.

1. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the dilemma. When it comes to home cinema, I'm a bit of a novice, though I believe picture is most important. So, out of a starting budget of around £3000, I've already spend £2200 on a lovely KP44PS2 RP W/Screen TV, along with £300 on a Sky + box.

Sadly, this leaves me with only £500, (£600 MAX) for a DVD player, speakers, and possibly an amp. (if not built in elsewhere). First thing I looked at was the SONY DAV-S500 All-in-One which has had good reviews and seemed to fit the bill perfectly. However, reading around here I'm heard some BAD things about All-in-Ones.

So I'm leave it open to you guys to save me from the horrors (or otherwise) of the DAV-S500. I know the budget's very limiting, but the combo I choose would preferably be:

Silver (not black, if poss.)
    Have small speakers and a meaty sub
    Be adequate in power for a 15ft by 13ft room
    Be multiregion DVD

Sadly, only the all-in-ones seems suitable. Unless....

Any ideas?

Regards,
    DDC

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not consider going second hand and checking out auction sites like www.ebay.co.uk for secondhand amps, speakers, and DVD players.

I have purchased lot's of old Laserdisc software and a few pieces of hardware from there (not all AV suff though) and have found some real bargains.

I know it probably sounds a bit pikey compared with your £3000 buget. But if you want good quality seperates you might find it a struggle to find them with £500. Don't get me wrong there is good quality equipment at the lower end of the market, but you sound like you have expensive tastes!.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've got a very nice tv,and you need a set-up to match.So that means you need more money i'm afraid. If you can stretch it to £750 you could get the mission 7 from richer sounds (bargain) then a second hand sony 930/940 for about £200, and a tosh 210 for £170, also from richer sounds.

But you've no chance at only £500.

If you could find the bread, your best buy would be the Denon 3082 and the kef eggs, but that would cost £1200

My room is only a couple of feet bigger then your room, and i was
    thinking about getting your sony rp, but thought it would dominate the room to much. How does it sit in your room?

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think you've buggered up your budget there dodocream. You're going to need to 'revise' it. £500 might just about buy you a suitable DVD player and amp, but not speakers as well. The TV you bought raises the bar as far as the accompanying equipment goes. I would reckon nothing less than a Toshiba SD210E DVD player and Marantz SR5200 receiver will do. Otherwise it'd be like wearing £1000 Italian leather shoes with shirts and T-shirt bought from the market, if you get my meaning.

A bit more saving and a scouring of used equpiment and box shifting stores is in order methinks.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am also a great believer in the second hand market although I am wary of Ebay. There are enough serial upgraders to ensure a ready supply of good equipment which will allow you to get a foot in the door which otherwise you may not be able to afford.

I still scour the classifieds on the basis that I can buy second hand one or two grades above what I could afford new.

As a matter of interest I have just bought a pair of mint second hand B & W speakers for £300 that were £800 new.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dodocream,

People have said bad things about the DAV 500 because they are comparing it to 'separates', an unfair comparison! Why did it win awards for best 'All in One'??

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy has just mentioned he has a KP44PS2 RP W/Screen sorry to say, but i don't think the DAV 500 will cut the mustard, with a screen that size you want something that gives the same impact. Look at it the other way, you wouldn't have 14" portable hooked up to TAG system.

Yes the DAV 500 is being compaired to seperates, but only for what you can get for the same money as a DAV 500.

Why did it win awards for best 'All in One'?? Because it was the only model in that category.....(joke):D

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bob007,

All this DAV 500 debating on it's price, well I have not bought mine, I rent mine!! So in 16 months time I will be able to upgrade! I think that in the future 'All in Ones' will be accepted just like HiFi's. Anyway, I am very satisfied with my own Home Cinema, puts a smile on my face!!

9. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks everyone for there help so far.

I know the budget isn't exactly great, but sadly I was controlled in what I could spend the money on and even persuading the wife that a surround sound system in itself was needed has been tricky. ("WIRES, NO MORE WIRES"!). So I'll just have to make do with what I can.

Sadly second hand isn't really an potion either, especially Ebay etc. I've been screwed one too many times already and can't live without a realiable warranty and support.

Perhaps the budget could be extended to £700, but this is *really* pushing it. Elsewhere, I have been suggested the slimline Sony AMP + speakers (HT-SL7A) (£398 inc del. from www.unbeatable.co.uk), the Videologic DTS Amp / Speaker combo and the Yamaha VS-10. I KNOW none of these exactly complement the TV, but has anyone had any good / bad experiences with them anyway?

And btw sean62, the RP is just perfect in the room. Beautiful silver/green design and though it loks massive at first, you soon get used to it. I couldn't imagine anything smaller now and am secretely wondering whether I should have got the 48 inch version. Pic. quality is pretty good, though I haven't tweeked it properly yet. Overall, v.impressed.

Now if I could only get the bloomin' sound sorted!

Regards,
    DDC

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If by Hi-fi's you mean midi and mini systems, which are audio 'All-In-One's, then they probably will be quite common.

But then again, I know many people who would argue against you calling them Hi-fi, because they aren't. Hi-fi is something made up of seperate components. Those midi, mini and micro systems are inferior, cannot begin to compare to true Hi-fi and do not deserve the Hi-fi title. This is perhaps mirrored by the same relationship between AV 'All-In-One's and seperates.

Dodocream, if that's your lot, then I'd suggest the Yamaha HTiB40 package, consisting of the Yamaha RXV420RDS DD & DTS receiver and full 5.1 speaker package and with that the Toshiba 210E DVD player. This should fall just between your £500 - £600 mark, and give you a good base to begin. It's not really on the same level as your TV, but it's great stuff for the money, and you can think about upgrading afterwards, first the speakers, then the amp. That's what I'd do anyway.

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me guess "separates":D
    It's not that folk won't accepted them, more won't recommend them in comparisons to separates.
    Thats all that matters....... thinking about it, the very first DPL system i got with mix and match speakers would probally be blown away by the DAV 500 anyway, so knowing how impressed i was with that, i have an idea how big that smile can get.......:D

12. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went through a similar exercise with a colleague at work, my suggestions to him were:

AMP: Marantz 4200 £ 230

SPEAKERS: Mission Cinema 6 £ 255

DVD: Toshiba 210E £170 ish.

Total is around about £655.

This should blow the socks off the Sony.

The Yamaha suggested package above is a good 'un, but personally I'd want an amp with Dolby Pro-Logic II, especially with a Sky Box in the setup.

13. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That was why I went with the Marantz SR5200 firstly. But Prologic 2 is out of the price range here. Dodocream's going to have to look at upgrading as soon as he can if he does go that way. I don't see much better for the money than this approach.

14. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about something like a heavily discounted Denon 3802 or 2802 and the best pair of speakers (probably ex dem/old range or something) you can stretch to go with it. Then go for the centre and rear(s) after.

There seem to be some really good deals on stuff like the recently replaced Kef Q.2 series and Richer Sounds have stuff like Mission 773/4's very cheap (assuming they can get stock).

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you can find a heavily discounted Denon 3802, DVD player and speakers all for a maximum of £700 please put me down for one and there'll be a drink in it for you !!

16. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You want a dvd Player as well?

Can't you just spin them on the end of your finger or something :p

second hand 3801 maybe - Keep on forgetting about the £50 price rise.

oh well:blush:

couldn't you lump it with tv stereo until cash replenishes.

happy spending anyway...