1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Save edit output as AVI or MPEG2 before creating DVD?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Angie, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Angie

Angie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new DVD rewriter and it uses ROXIO Easy Media Creator Basic to assemple the DVD image. My video content is coming out of Pinnacle Studio 7.

So, I have a choice to save the Pinnacle output files as MPEG2 (obviously smaller) or as an AVI.

Roxio seems happy to take either format as input. I believe it needs to end up as MPEG2 eventually for writing to DVD.

So, should I let Pinnacle do that first or let Roxio do it from an AVI? What would give better quality... would I even notice?

I guess it may depend on the codecs being used by Pinnacle vs. those by Roxio... how can I tell what they are picking up?

Playback is on a 32" TV so better quality may be noticable.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would output as AVI from Pinnacle.
    This means you have a higher quality file on your PC should you wish to redit it.

Also MPEG2 is quite lossy, the more you copy and alter it the more you will lose.

I also find that if theres any conversion taking place it's better to let the package which is creating the media do the converting, as there may be minor conflicts otherwise.

I've also found Pinnacle performs very well at disc authoring> do you really need to transfer it into roxio at all?.

3. Angie

Angie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roy. Seems logical advice and the encoding on Roxio may be more up-to-date than Pinnacle V7.

Yes, we need Roxio as Pinnacle V7 does not support DVD creation. We would need to upgrade to V8 (or V9) and that involves spending more money :-(.