Saunton Sands

Holowlegs

Hello there

Went to Devon early April. Stayed in a place called Braunton. This was taken on a beach just up the road called Saunton Sands. 3 exposures HDR then converted to Duotone. A bit off dodge and burn.

|f/20 |17 mm | ISO 100 |Tamron 17 - 50mm |

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

Just call me Al

Novice Member
The bottom part of the photo is very good, however I think there is too much of the clouds & these clouds are not very interesting. So I think I would crop.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Great shot, very dramatic.

I know this area quite well, and when I saw the title Saunton Sands I expected a vast wide open sandscape image, maybe with some dunes in. :)

kiddie

Standard Member
I love it!

However like D2V2D said maybe alittle too much sky?
I think the sky is okay, the picture size is slightly bigger than my web browser, but once I downloaded it and view it as full screen, it looked alright:clap:

One small nit-pick: since HDR applied to the picture, I guess it would looked even better in colour, like this one:

Holowlegs

Great shot, very dramatic.

I know this area quite well, and when I saw the title Saunton Sands I expected a vast wide open sandscape image, maybe with some dunes in. :)

There more to come from here. This was taken on the right hand side off the beach.

Was under a bit off pressure here as well, had just driven for 4 1/2 hrs, unpacked the luggages in the cottage we stayed in, then decided to take everyone to the nearest beach. Wife was moaning it was to windy, while my daughter and niece were having a great time with there wellies,
" look at me dad, look at me uncle Frank"
While I was trying to get a picture.:rolleyes::D

A few off you have said about the uninteresting sky. Sky was very gray and wasn't doing a lot, thing I was worried about was losing detail in the rocks, seeing I was sort off shooting towards the sun.

bodoman

Distinguished Member
This photograph is driving me nuts, i have just spent half an hour looking for the duck:(
Okay i give up Holow, where is the ruddy duck:confused:

Oh, nice photograph by the way:smashin:

V

vulkan75

Quite simply franky boy...one of the best shots ive seen from you and youve done a few nice ones.

Love everything about it:thumbsup:

springtide

Distinguished Member
Great shot, love the smoothness of the rocks etc. :thumbsup:

Also nice to see the sea looking like sea for a change, rather than a milky pond. Not that I don't like 'Milky Ponds', it's just it's a nice change :D

Nice shot, I don't mind the sky in fact my only criticism of it is that the four main rocks on either side have either been dodged and the brush size is very visible or this is a result of the HDR. Either way the end result looks like bits of cloud over the rocks.

Holowlegs

Hello there

Thanks all for all the great comments, wasn't expecting this. Especially as this was my first shot off 4 days in Devon.

kiddie I am not one for making my HDR looking like HDR if you know what I mean. I try not to over cook them.

This photograph is driving me nuts, i have just spent half an hour looking for the duck:(
Okay i give up Holow, where is the ruddy duck:confused:

Oh, nice photograph by the way:smashin:
Who do you think was on remote duty, while I held down the tripod in the wind.:D :devil:

One thing I have started doing is set the bracketing up, then the timer, then fire the camera with the remote. Seems to work for me. This way the camera takes 3 exposures one after the other.

Quite simply franky boy...one of the best shots ive seen from you and youve done a few nice ones.

Love everything about it:thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for that Alex, you may to blame in a way. Looking at yours, Liquid's and Ally's pictures and some others, especially at the composition off then has really helped me.

Nice shot, I don't mind the sky in fact my only criticism of it is that the four main rocks on either side have either been dodged and the brush size is very visible or this is a result of the HDR. Either way the end result looks like bits of cloud over the rocks.

That was me with the dodged brush, I tried to bring a bit off detail out on them rocks, but maybe I should off left allow.:rolleyes:

mpritch

Novice Member
Hi Holo,

I really like that shot of yours. Maybe a slight crop would help, but not much needed. Like someone else said, I'd love to see it in colour. The best bit for me is the light reflecting of the rock in the foreground in the middle - just a really nice subtle shine.

I'm not a big fan of the heavily processed HDR's but your conversion looks nicely balanced.

Excellent,

Mark.

Holowlegs

Hello there

Another one from Saunton Sands.

This one was taken on the way home, I took the coast road and park the car, everyone else stayed in the car because it was to windy. So I carried on set up the tripod and f liters. I took 4 sets of 3 exposures using diffent combination of filiters. Got one problem now, I can't remember which combination this is:rotfl:

HDR 3 exposures, then converted to B&W using a plug in called Powertouche Black and white studio. Then converted it to a duotone, using the colours Black and PANTONE 424 CVC( which is a grey).

Then an overall level and curves but I also done a lot of selective level and curves.Then a little bit of dodge and burn. I then only sharpen the land and sea part of the picture.

| f/20 | 42 mm | ISO 100 |

I may do a colour version as well. Out off the 4 sets I took have deleted two so may do the other set in colour.

Cheers Holo :smashin::smashin:

Bob

Novice Member
Second one's a great shot, well worth the effort in the wind :thumbsup:

Personally I'm not too keen on the multi-coloured HDR shots but I think the process brings out the best in B&W.

jenufa

Novice Member
Excellent capture's that both work well in b&w:smashin:

Holowlegs

Hello there

Decided to do a colour version in the end. Only thing is this is 3 different exposures.:confused:

| f/20 |42 mm | ISO 100 |

Holowlegs

Hello there

Another from me.

| f/20 |19mm | ISO 100 |

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett