1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saumsung LE32R41B questions?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MichaelP, Jun 15, 2005.

1. MichaelP

MichaelP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EDIT: I already posted this in the main Samsung thread but no replies, I am driving my self crazy wondering whether to order his set? Main question are is DVI-Sub excellent quality for DVD and HD playback and has good has DVI-D? and also I know the native resoultion of 1080i HD is 1900x1800 or something like that so will the LCD handle that type of HD?

Hi Newbie member here wanting to ask a few questions regards this much talked about Samsung LE32R41B?

I currently use a Panasonic TX-32PD30 for watching Sky+ and DVD movies, whilst DVD is very good with progressive I find Sky+ very blocky picture and not really what I wanted from this TV which cost me over £1000 at the time.

I have a Dell 8400 PC with 2GB of RAM, Radeon X800XT and a 20" Dell LCD monitor which runs HD trailers really well and looks amazing. Obviously can't run sky through it because there is no Scart connections on the monitor.

I am intrested in this Samsung either the 32 or the 26". but have a few questions.

1. Could anybody recommend which is better I am fairly close the the screen only the width of a bed seperating me from the screen is 32" or 26" better I am asking because I can't stand blocky Sky+ channels anymore. I will be getting Sky HD when it becomes available.

2. Will this LCD run Sky HD.

3. Will it run my PC correctly, I currently run my PC via DVI-D and the picture is amazing will I get the same quality with DVI-Sub. I would like to continue to use my Dell Monitor as well as the are both DVI and DVI-Sub on the Radeon X800XT. However my question is what is the best type of resoultion I will get, currently when I use TV-OUT to my CRT TV I have to use overscan to make the video fill the screen.

Some reviews on this LCD would be amazing especially regards PC output quality, DVD quality and Sky+ picture quality?

Regards,

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    D-SUB (VGA connector) produced an astoundingly good image, although I was disappointed by the other inputs after becoming used to a considerably more expensive LCD WEGA, so I ended up returning the TV.

It DOES show it, but not very well. 1080i material has a pixellated look on this TV.

You'd be just as disappointed with this one. It's very hard for an LCD to clean up the overcompressed Digital TV signal, especially less expensive ones like this.

Yes, but see what I said about 1080i, channels/programs broadcast like this might not look as pretty as you'd hoped.

There's no such thing as DVI-Sub I'm afraid - you're thinking of D-SUB which carries Analog VGA video (which is excellent on this TV). The TV does not have a DVI connector. Instead it has HDMI which is compatible, but I didn't try that with my computer.

I managed to get my ATI card showing the native resolution of this TV - results were fantastic. Your computer won't treat the TV as a TV - it'll treat it as another computer monitor, as it's using the same connectors.

So my opinions:

PC over VGA at native res: incredible
    DVD over HDMI (720p): was a bit disappointed
    Sky+: this TV doesn't handle RGB SCART signals very well. Freeview looked terrible for me.

I don't think this is the TV for you. If you're critical of picture quality like me, I suggest you don't skimp on the price - pay for something like a new Sony LCD WEGA or Philips Pixel Plus set that will work to clean up the picture a little. 800 pounds for a 32" LCD seems like a bargain deal (and it is if you're happy with it) but if you're like me, then that'll be 800 pounds wasted so you might as well pay full whack to get something with some smart image processing.

The Sky+ pictures will probably always look blocky, though.

3. MichaelP

MichaelP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some great advice many thanks, gave me a lot to think about.

I have however decided to buy the 26" version but will not most likely use it for sky viewing it will be just for DVDs and Computer use. I think it will work fine for those 2 things following your review.

Also could you help me out as I am still fairly new to all this and have no clue on the cable issues.

1. When it says DV-Sub where can I get one? I assume one does not come with the package, any suggested links to getting these cables it will need to be a certain distance between my PC and the LCD not very far but longer than the average cable I would say. Also would a HDMI to the DVI on the PC work? it says not but I am sure it would?

2. Also for the DVD in the past I use scart for DVD picture just I use componenet? If so where are the cables best to buy from?

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    D-Sub is just a fancy way of saying what most of us call a VGA cable. You might use one right now to connect your graphics card to your computer monitor. You'll be able to get one at almost any computer retailer (just ask for a VGA cable, they'll get the idea). They don't give you on in the box.

2. If your player has an HDMI connector, you should use that with this TV to get the best fully-digital image quality. If not, then use Component. The jury's out on what cables are best, but I think the general consensus on this form is that the high-priced cables provide identical picture quality and aren't worth the hassle (I would agree with this). You could look for Component cables at www.tvcables.co.uk .