• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Saturday Night Fever - Directors Cut

FBI Warning

Established Member
I see this is now available in the UK and picked up a Blu Ray copy yesterday. As other reviews have said, the detail is fantastic. I plan to dig out my old DVD copy and compare the two at some point, but just had a quick question.

The documentary extras on the disc are all 10 years old as they talk about the movie being 30 years old but conspicuous by his absence in any of the extras was the man himself. Nor any interviews with the Bee Gees (or at least the one remaining) that were a key component of the success of this movie.

Does John Travolta want to disassociate himself from the film he made 40 years ago? It just seemed odd that the other actors revisited filming locations but it was Joseph Cali (Joey) that led the tour and strutted up to the pizza window, not John Travolta.

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
could be any number of reasons he didn't participate; maybe he was asking for more money than the documentary budget would allow, maybe the filming clashed with whatever schedule he had going on at the time, maybe they didn't even ask him.
Personally I doubt it was because he didn't want to be associated with what's one of his most iconic and remembered roles, but without anyone saying why Travolta, and others, are absent it's impossible to say for sure, you can only speculate. Unless there's a definitive answer somewhere out there on the interweb.
There's a lot of retrospective special features stuff that doesn't have any of the main players involved in it though, it's not exactly unique to this release.

But yeah, you really do feel his absence and wish he'd been there to share at least some of his thoughts and memories of the experience

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom