SatNav to work in US - help needed for a newbie

A

asherpat

I am goin to US in late March 06, rent a car there,

think to buy a SatNav system that I can use when back in UK, so:

1. must be able to work with full UK Postcode;
2. touchscreen (is that really that important?)
3. portable from car to car;
4. have US coverage (East coast and CA);
5. prefereably not very expensive;

Any advice from those with experience?

AlexMac

There's an new range coming out from Tom Tom that will include the US and Canada for the first time. Probably your best option but not sure on the release dates.

AOD

We took the other approach.

We purchased a system here (based around CoPilot 5) with UK maps that also had the option of purchasing US maps. Our decision was somewhat biased as we already had a Pocket PC on which to run it.

CoPilot isn't perfect but it does what we want. We've used it 3 or 4 times now in the USA and it has been an absolute lifesaver. Back in blighty it means peace of mind for me, especially when my other half is out on her own.

I understand that CoPilot 6 now offers full UK postcodes (5 only did partial postcodes) although we haven't bothered upgrading just yet.

It really depends what brands are on sale in the US (I think Garmin are pretty popular there, don't know about Tom Tom).

Your best bet would be to check out the websites either for the nav companies themselves, or have a look at the websites for US electrical retailers. Companies like Circuit City, CompUSA and Best Buy are probably good places to start.

deniewibly

asherpat said:
I am goin to US in late March 06, rent a car there,

think to buy a SatNav system that I can use when back in UK, so:

1. must be able to work with full UK Postcode;
2. touchscreen (is that really that important?)
3. portable from car to car;
4. have US coverage (East coast and CA);
5. prefereably not very expensive;

Any advice from those with experience?

Who are you renting with? It's quite common for the big companies like Dollar, Alamo etc. to offer SatNav as an option in their rental cars. It was pretty cheap when we used it as far as I remember.

Dene

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Just about all the USA car rental companies offer satnav as an option - sometimes it's thrown in free.
I'm at a technical training session this week in Boston and everyone's Hertz hire car seems to have a Magellan satnav .

Chris Muriel, Taxachussetts (as the locals call it)

bobsplace

I use Tom tom 5 on a dell X50v and it works fine in the US.

Postcode searches are no problem, its just a case of swapping the map in the memory card when you land, job done........

R

RekalinSimms

I would think the TomTom's would be your best options for using in either place. The 300 and 700 are nice and available now, but the 510 and 910 are coming out soon and should be pretty great too. Any one of them should work for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom