SatNav Battery Life - TomTom

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Tempest, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    Despite having a smartphone, and trying waze etc, which is great, there is just something, for me, better in having an actual physical stand alone SatNav device that fits on the dash.

(waze burns my mobile's battery for one thing, and in the summer, a phone on the dash in sun would die of being roasted!)

I still have a very old TomTom. I think the 2nd one they ever made, which may have been re-braided as a TomTom Go classic later on.

[​IMG]

What I have always liked about this, is, it's built like a tank.
    Has a LOUD speaker as there is actually space inside it for a proper speaker
    And the Batter life seems excellent.
    I even mounted it onto a bike many years ago.

But, I'll admit, the screen is small, and the maps are out of date (but I used it still today and works fine)

A brand New TomTom can be had for £100 ish it seems, and NOW I'd like perhaps a 6" screen model.
    But are there any with even half decent batteries these days? (I've seen only 2 hours mentioned!)
    Are the speakers any good?
    And I have heard the TomTom PC software is a nightmare.

So I'm just really wondering what I could upgrade to?
    Thanks

2. jimmyriddle77

jimmyriddle77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you have a soldering station and diy skills, the solder connection for the batteries are notoriously bad.

3. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    Hi thanks.
    I may have not made it clear in my posting that my TomTom is still great.
    It has, I think a very good battery life still, and due to it's physical size, and therefore internal speaker space, is nice and LOUD.

As far as I'm aware, and I would love to be wrong here, TomTom every since have made more high-tech versions, but make them slimmer (the fad is with slimness these days, though why the hell it matters with a device sitting on your dash I've no idea)
    And modern models have a junk battery in comparison and poor speaker output levels.

Though this is just hearsay on my part from bit I've read.
    Hence I was wondering if there are any current TomTom models that do have a good battery life, and good sounding speakers now.

4. Smudger1

Smudger1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I've got the 5000, and if it's not plugged in, it doesn't work basically. If I charge it up via the computer or mains, it lasts for maybe 10 minutes. Other than that, it's great. I can't vouch for later models, but the 5100 looks almost the same, so I predict battery life will be equally dire. If you're got a 12v output in the car (that works) you should be fine...

5. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    Thanks for that.
    I do like the much larger screen and better user interface on a new model, but to be fair, whilst I'd be out o luck with any brand new roads, my old tomtom still gets me places, and seems to last well over a hour on it's own battery.

6. Smudger1

Smudger1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    The other thing is, the 5000 was £199 RRP when I got it, although I got a discount from Halfords for trading in my old one (XL, I think) so it ended up costing me about £120. The 5200 is RRP £299, which seems a quite large increase for the same basic function... I know you get lifetime world maps now, instead of lifetime Europe maps, but my trips outside Europe are very rare...

7. SyStemDeMoN

SyStemDeMoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    Those old tomtom's were great.
    I was a home delivery driver for come when these hit the stores. Picked one up as a customer return and tried it out during a run. Revolutionary! Led me to buying one and they were still about £399 or something.
    Battery life was incredible ! Nearly lasted an entire 10 hour shift !

The new ones are still good but the batterylife isn't great.
    I Get about 3-4 hours out of my newish tomtom.

Try mounting your phone somewhere else and keep using waze.
    It can't be beaten imo

8. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    I've found Waze utterly destroys my battery.
    On a in-car charger (not a high power charger) it was using my phones battery faster than the standard/low power charger could charge it.

To be honest, 40 - 50'c in red hot sun is this weather, if not the place for a mobile phone!

I'm always amazed how well car interiors are made, how it all still works and dials any indicators still light up and work, despite being literally too hot to touch.

Pity thing like phones and tablets are not made to the same standards.