Satellites as upfire atmos 5.1.4

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mabenson, Aug 28, 2018.

1. mabenson

mabenson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Just upgraded to an lg 65e7 and thought it was time to do the sound too so bought a yamaha 3070. Unfortunately, there is no way I'll be allowed to do in ceiling or high mounted speakers so for atmos I've had to go for upfiring. Was looking at various atmos enabled options (elac, onkyo etc) when I saw that monitor audio just recommend apex a10's. As I had some Canton satellites (not monitor audio but they don't cost anything!) lying around I thought I'd give them a go. I bought some foam and have angled them to point at the ceiling. I can definitely hear some difference but my question is should I angle them at the mlp or at 20 degrees (as per standard atmos enabled) or to where an in ceiling speaker would be? Rears are 100 degrees to mlp with fronts either side of the tv (about 30 degrees to mlp). Distances are about 2.5m at the rear and 3.5m for the fronts.

Many thanks,

Matt

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,395
    If you can angle them correctly then there is no reason why they should not work. I did experiment with a pair of KEF Eggs whilst I waited for the R50 Atmos modules to be back in stock. They worked to some extent but the R50s are more proficient at the job. I lost nothing as I already had the Eggs in the house.

I was always afraid they would fall off the speakers they were put on, as per Dolby instructions, but as good as the Eggs looked on the wall they were just plain ugly and odd sitting on the R100s.