Satellite TV- Nothing free?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by ric449, Dec 8, 2004.

1. ric449

ric449
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, first time poster here.

I have some questions on satellite. Is everything subscription based? Its just there are free terrestrial digital channels, and I was wondering that if with the right equipment (satellite TV card, dish) was used, is there more to satellite than pay?

2. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    freesat has tons of free channels. hence its name :D you'll have to buy a card from sky if you want ITV,C4,C5 tho as they are scrambled, its about £20. and you'll need a receiver.

however, i find finding other satellites more fun, and i intend to run a multi LNB/dish rig. hit www.lyngsat.com to see whats out there, it lists world wide satellites (most of the ones you can pick up here with a "normal" size dish are eash, such as 19.2E) and tells you whether they're free or encrypted. check out stuff like the Astra series (home of Sky) and Hotbird etc.

3. ric449

ric449
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear with me, I'm a total newbie to anything other than terrestrial :D. Are you saying that even if I was going to watch free stuff only, I would have to buy something from sky?

Also, about satellite dishes. What size? Where to buy? Do they need pointing in certain directions? Maybe you would be better off directing me to a beginners guide to satellite or something, it would probably be quicker than educating a total newbie.

4. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You can get Free To Air (FTA) without a card but Free To View (FTV) which includes ITV, Ch4/5 requires a card which you buy from Sky for £20. This card is guranteed for 3 or 5 years (I can't remember) so just consider it part of the equipment.

You can buy Freesat from Sky (dish, box, installation) for £150.00 this includes the card.

5. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    bigger the dish, lower ENIB you can pick up. ie satellites that are further away. anything thats meant to be broadcast to the UK is easily picked up with a smaller dish, but hey.. its fun to pick up the stuff that isn't :)

there's a decent enough looking faq on http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk and also a FTA/FTV faq on the satellite forum of http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk

and yes, the dish has to be pointed at exactly the right angle, its like a tv aerial. 19.2E is an example of a satellites angle. whoever sets it up for you will make sure this is pointing at the right satellite for you. its up to you then if you want to point it somewhere else :) if you're a "total newbie" its best to let someone else set it all up so you get freesat, then decide if you want to read up more and find some of the other stuff. there's a lot more channels on freesat than there is on freeview, but nothing that jumps out to me as totally exciting, but i guess its down to how much you watch shopping channels :) the addition of CNN is nice tho, but i couldn't tell you the quality of the picture compared to freeview (altho i know that the coverage is a lot better). i'm sure someone here can do a direct comparison tho?

personally, i intend to run a freesat box (without card) alongside astra 1 and hotbird on East and Telstar 12 on west eventually. so thats 2 lnbs on one dish, and one lnb on another (can't point east and west at the same time :D ). receiver wise i'll be buying a skystar2 pci and a dreambox more than likely. i did intend to buy all this next summer, but i've got the buzz so depending on cash flow and how quickly i buy my new pc... might be persuaded to buy early :) can only point west from my part of the house tho, unless nobody minds me plonking a 90cm dish on the front :D