Satellite TV Highlights - July 2002

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Jun 21, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would inform all of you telly addicts about some stuff you may want to keep your eyes out for, during July. Unless specified, all shows will run daily, Mondays through Fridays.

Sky 1:
    “Total Recall 2070” starts a complete run, late night on Tuesday 25th June, at 1:50am.

“Good Vs Evil” (also known as “G Vs E”) airs from late on Monday 1st July at 1:50am. This show also airs on the Sci-Fi channel, but on a weekly basis, every Wednesday 24th July at 9pm. Two seasons of this show were made, but I have not been able to establish which one Sky are showing. Sci-Fi are airing Season 1.

“Law And Order”: Season 8 is also being run, around 2:40am

“Brooklyn South’s” one and only season gets its first ever repeat run since the late 1990’s, around 3:55am as well, from Mon 1st July.

“Space Island One” gets a repeat run, running every single day, around 1am.

“Captain Scarlet And The Mysterons” gets its first ever digitally-remastered airing on Sky 1. Dates and times have yet to be confirmed, but expect it to be in an early-morning children’s slot.

Granada Plus:

“Magnum P.I.” which has just started a daily run on Channel 5, returns once more. Episodes have yet to be confirmed, but episodes will air at 4pm, with a 3am daily repeat.

“The Equalizer” returns, with Edward Woodward as the slightly vindictive private detective/bounty hunter. Airing 10pm and a 2am repeat!

“Miami Vice” continues throughout July, at the new time of 1am only. This is probably due to the nature of many of the episodes, being unsuitable for a daytime or early evening transmission.

“Cracker” – the acclaimed UK drama series with Robbie Coltraine, appears on two stations this month. On Granada Plus, it will air Sundays at 9pm, with a 1am repeat. On UK Gold, however, the schedules will be Wednesdays at 10pm, and also Sundays at 10pm. Some episodes will be repeated, others won’t! Check press for details.

Sci-Fi Channel:

“Good Vs Evil” (aka “G Vs E”) – see details for Sky 1.

“The Lone Gunmen” continues every Monday at 9pm, with a weekly repeat every Sunday at 7pm.

“The Chronicle” also continues, each Friday at 9pm, with the weekly repeat an hour before Sunday’s repeat of “The Lone Gunmen” .
    Listings magazines are also stating that “Highlander” begins on Tuesday 23rd July at 2pm, with a 10am the following morning repeat. However, whether this is the “Highlander: The Series” show or the inferior “Highlander: The Raven”, I can’t confirm. I suspect the latter.

The usual “anime” series’ and movies seem to be going through a difficult patch at the moment. Three new shows were purchased – “Martian Successor Nadesico”, “Evangelion” (uncut) and “Blue Gender” – and were due to air late in May. However, for various reasons, that delay was put back until early July. However, it now appears that these shows may now NOT start as planned. Latest indications show that “Saiko – Exciting” will air every Saturday at 10am, with a repeat on Sundays at 8am, and Mondays at 5pm. This new show, is a mixture of all things Japanese. Part documentary, part anime, part clips-show, part music video and other promo material. Originally, the intention was to repeat two of the anime series in this 2-hour block. Yet, according to listings magazines, this doesn’t look likely. Instead, the “Evangelion” will air from late on Wednesday 10th, around Midnight, followed by “Nadesico”. “Blue Gender” will air on Thursdays, from the 11th, at 23:40 hours approx. Then, all 3 shows will change: sometimes all 3 airing on a Wednesday night, and at other times, airing on Wednesday and Thursday nights! What a mess! :mad:

Bravo:

If you’ve not yet seen it, “Babylon 5” starts a brand-new, but still censored, late-night run, from Monday 1st July. Every night, Bravo will re-run the series, in full, right from the Pilot Movie (airing 1st at 1-2:40am, thereafter 1:30am), and through all 112 episodes.

Well, I hope some of that interests you. For now, I’ll be seeing you.

Pooch

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Is that the X-Files spin-off 'The Lone Gunmen' ?

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,174
    I was about to ask that.

Sky1 get the digitally re-mastered Captain Scarlet wasn’t the BBC2 recent run the same? As the recent run of Thunderbirds was, and that was shown before Captain Scarlet.

Thank for the update Pooch

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,059
    It is the X-Files spin-off - though you've probably done the leg work now chaps.
    What I'm curious about is whether the Sci Fi Channel bottled showing the pilot ep., Pooch? The RT doesn't list it and one would presume it should've been aired this week. I really liked the promo and thought it was looking good, however, the Jimmy Bond character - ep. 2 onward - is a bit of a poor man's Brendan Fraser to be loved or hated - or ignored as best as possible in my case. But it is still worth a view and a shame no second series came, even with Chris Carter's threats to halt the X-Files for lack of TV company backing.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Folks,

I doubt Sci-Fi will be showing the Pilot Episode of "The Lone Gunmen".

I don't think this is actually Sci-Fi's fault though. More than likely, 20th century Fox will have not allowed this episode to be bought from them, for obvious reasons. Having said that, I think that each station should be allowed to make-up its own mind whether or not to transmit it. But, I can understand Fox not wanting to be seen to appear tasteless or indecent.

Pooch

6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Pooch,

“Space Island One” gets a repeat run, running every single day, around 1am.

I was interested to see that you included this in your list. Did you enjoy it, first time round?

I can't imagine it'll draw too much of an audience at 1am...

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,059

LOL

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Bert,

I can't actually remember much of "Space Island One", but it was listed as sci-fi/cult TV, so I included it, just in case anyone else was interested.

I'll see what it's like again, but I doubt I will tape this show, with the aim of keeping it, which is what I do do with a lot of other shows that Sky 1, Sci-Fi et al air.

Pooch

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Pooch, Space Island One was a laudable attempt to make a UK sf series that was realistic and character-led rather than relying heavily on special effects (which the show couldn't afford anyway.) It was set in the very near future on an orbiting space laboratory financed by a consortium of industrial giants.

There was Euro-money in the show too, which meant that several of the cast were German.

Unfortunately it didn't really come off. In fact, there was a second series made which Sky didn't pick up, presumably because of disappointing audience figures for the first one.

The lead, the commander of the space station, was played by Judy Loe, an excellent but underused actress.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk