Satellite TV & HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Shockabuku, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hi all. I've got a good spec HCPC running a treat with a Panny AE100, and now I want to add Sky Digital (satellite) into the mix. Any theories on the best way to do this to achieve max pq? I've seen a box by Hauppage (sp?) that connect between the Sky box & the PC (I presume). Is this a decent solution? Failing that, how would I get the signal into the PC? Not using any offboard components as I want to do video recording etc on the PC.

Thanks in advance.

2. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plan to do the same thing, but I need to order Sky first ;-)

I will be using my IDS Falcon card for video capture (need to get
    a box with S-video output), but I am not sure how to record
    the sound ? I will probably use IUVCR or Showshifter for PVR.

The Falcon card is supported by D-Scaler, so you can get
    progressive scan TV as well as the PVR functionality.

Falcon info: http://www.ids-imaging.de/english/falcon.html

BJ

3. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have succesfully used;

Sky+ box (inbuilt PVR too)->(svideo out) ->PCTV Rave ->Dscaler ->Supergrace Radeon 64MB SDR ->projector.

Works nicely, but at any decent screen size even though progressive scan you'll see MPEG artifacts on screen from the compression for Sky.

The Sky+ box has an inbuilt svideo and optical out, and is around £200 trade to your friendly local Sky installer. Even if you don't want the PVR functions (and won't pay the £10/month fee) then they will still function...I believe the box will still work without its 40GB Maxtor drive and this could be pressed into service for your PC!

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

4. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Thanks for the advice guys. Ian - any idea if you can subscribe to Sky+, get the box but not actually have to subscribe to the Tivo style features? Or will I have to go direct to a local supplier & buy them a beer?

5. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You can definitely use the Sky+ box without paying for the extra PVR functions, yet still benefit from optical out and s-video. If you decide at a later date you want to go the whole hog, then a call to Sky simply adds an extra £10/month to your bill and adds the functions.

Would highly recommend the approach of going to your local Sky installer and chatting him round to the idea of supplying you a Sky+ box for an ordinary installation - if you can afford it then get the two wires from your dish to the digibox installed incase you ever do decide to go for the Sky+ functions.

I'm just considering upgrading the disk in my Sky+ to 120MB to allow 70Hrs recording ;) (not that I'd ever get round to watching it all).

Regards,
    Ian Guinan