1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite TV Card For My HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Julia, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'd like to use my HTPC for recording films from Sky and I need a satellite TV card.
    Please can someone recommend a good TV satellite card and some suitable software.

All Help Appreciated,
    Happy New Year!

Julia

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    If you mean a card with a tuner on it (i.e. you connect it to a dish/LNB) , this does not exist.
    This is down to $ky's closed encryption system -embedded into their approved STBs and not available via a CI (Common Interface)
    CAM (Conditional Access Module).
    I don't think this will ever happen - the market is too small.

Chris Muriel

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As Chris says,the market's likely to be too small for the development costs,and no doubt Sky will have issues with encryption.

I would have thought the cheapest way of doing this is to get a Sky+ box,and a search on this site will show that the £99 offer is still going....then modify the box with a 120Gb drive and get plenty of storage space.

4. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is possible to get cards that will recieve free-to-air satellite broadcasts, and you'd be able to record those on your pc. One of the most common cards is the TechniSat SkyStar 2.

As the others have said, you won't be able to receive sky digital broadcasts with this card because Sky uses an encryption system, the details of which have not been released to third party vendors.

This leaves you with a couple of options:
    1) Get Sky+
    2) Get a tv card/video capture card for your pc, and hook this up to the digibox

Option 2 is probably the closest you're going to get to being able to record on your htpc. Not sure about any specific card to go for, but they start at about £25-£30 and go up from there. Software for recording is usually included with the card. There are also free applications available to download.

Try a search on these forunms for tv card or similar, and you should find some details of recommended cards. From what I remember, there was one by Packard Bell that you should be able to find in pc world for about £35-£40 that has good reports.

Tony

5. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thoroughly recommend Sky+ for 2 reasons.
    1) No loss of quality if you record first and watch later. Also you get to capture for archiving more precisely.
    2) S-Video output for connection to your HTPC for archiving.

I use the Vidac VMagic hardware MPEG1/2 encoder card via s-video for archiving Sky to DVD / VCD as it does this in real time and more importantly, ignores Macrovision etc, so you can even put Box Office movies on DVD. Available from http://www.vmagic.de
    Current cards use internal audio capture, but new ones about to be released use your sound card, so capture of DD audio stream may be possible.

Using this card before Xmas allowed me to create a Nick Junior DVD for my kids running for 7.5 hours at VCD quality, and to create 1 to 2 hour DVD+RW discs for more adult viewing while out of the country, using Ulead DVD Workshop directly with the captured MPEG1/2 streams