Satellite through Freeview PVR???

jamesy999

Established Member
Reaction score
Its a long shot but is there any possible way i could run my Fortec Star Innovation through my Thomson Freeview PVR so that i could record Satellite tv to the Thomson PVR? I have an IF out on the Sat box and the Thomson box has the usual RFinput/RFoutput and the 2 loop in/out sockets. :confused:

I doubt it. The IF out will still be an RF signal, undemodulated and to DVB-S standard (qpsk or psk modulation).
A Freeview PVR only accepts a DVB-T RF signal (which has COFDM modulation).

No, there isn't. Not realistically. DVB-T RF encoders aren't sold in retail terms; if you want to spend a few thousands on a broadcast model, of course........

Far cheaper to buy a satellite PVR, which is what you need here. Or a DVD recorder with a Hard Drive.

If it's one of the Thomson TUTV PVRs, the OP will be lucky if he can record & playback Freeview on it, as intended!

If the Fortec Star Innovation is the one with USB sockets (host/USB "A") front and rear, it is "PVR Ready" and can be converted into a recorder itself, by the addition of a USB external Hard Disc Drive, or USB stick flash memory.

Yeh it is, and i've been useing a hard drive with it for the past year but its not a very good way of recording. When the recievers powered off the hard drive stops working and needs attaching to a computer to be sorted. With my two year old daughter constantly turning in on and off its a bit of a pain. I wanted to get everything in one place really. Oh well nevermind.

When the recievers powered off the hard drive stops working and needs attaching to a computer to be sorted.
With my two year old daughter constantly turning in on and off its a bit of a pain.
Those limitations I wasn't aware of.
It may be a power-saving mode in the HDD that could be disabled with the right tools.

Its more a problem of the drive not being shut down properly as the Innovation has a power button on the front which shuts it completely down and cuts the power to the USB device. This somehow corrupts the drive and leaves the Innovation unable to recognise it. If the Innovation is just put onto stanby its fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom