Satellite System

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by cockneyboy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. cockneyboy

cockneyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Please Help!

I want to install a satellite system in my new house but dont have a clue what I need or how much it will cost. I wish to receive as many foreign channels as possible and therefore wish to receive all the hotbird channels. In addition to this I wish to receive all the sky digital channels.

I have been told that I will require 2 seperate dishes to achieve this, one for sky and one motorised one. Is this the case?

I have been quoted £1499 - for a system which includes an Echostar 7000 - is this a good deal?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Depends on what is being supplied , e.g. what size dish ?
    Does the price include installation ?

More details needed to give a reasonably analytical answer.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience you cannot beat a Manhatten reciever.

I am just about to install a 2.7m offset dish having just sorted out a USB Skystar box for 4:2:2.

Where abouts in UK are you? You may be able to go from 45w to 45e or more!

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1499 is unnecessary.If ordinary tv is all you want ,then a 1 metre dish is ample.Does £1499 include any cams,subs or cards?You can integrate SkyDigital into a motorised system with little problem.However,its not practical for Sky+ as this requires pointing at Astra 2 for viewing recordings and recording .And your Sky box may be a bit slow if it spends a lot of time pointing away from Astra 2

5. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    have one dish on the wall for sky and have a motorised one on a scaffold pole in the garden ?

or one dish 80cm with an lnb at 28e and another at 13e ?

6. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    That's an unusually large dish - definitely a BUD as they say in the USA (Big Ugly Dish).
    Where do you live that you have the room to put it and no risk of interference by the local planners ?
    Also , dishes of that magnitude are usually not offset but prime focus.
    They are normally petallised , i.e. come in several petal-shaped sections (which actually results in less gain than a single structure would produce).
    My 1.8M Channelmaster is the largest 1-piece offset dish I could find.
    I would be interested to know the gain of it at Ku band and whether you also intend to do some C-band (3.7-4.2 GHz) reception with it. Problem there is that C-bnad feedhorns are almost always scalar types - made for feeding prime-focus dishes.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

7. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,

Plumped lucky with this dish coming via Hollstar from a Spanish dealer. Comes in two sections i had the choice of a 2.4m Prime focus but i like offset as there is more room for "error" so to speak.

Not planning on C-Band - just after in partic 18W & 15W for Sunday nights & bad weather and anyother USA fees that crop up.
    I did want a 1.8 Channel master but as they have gone bump now they are hard to find.

8. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    So where are you based that allows you to put up such a wonderful monstrosity ?
    If you can detect jealousy , you are right :)

Chris Muriel, Manchester (no chance of putting that up here either in terms of the council or the wife :))

9. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a very "middle of nowhere" part of the Midlands... :)

Will check to see if this is a mesh dish as i havent asked but as it comes in only 2 sections i would have thought solid.

Now Chris some advice would be appreciated - USB Skystar with ProgDVB - cannot get HD broadcasts to show... also i have noticed that this box has reduced signal strength (say something is 80% on my Manhatten's only shows as 50% through this USB box).. any advice would help keep my hair on my head :)

Oh and why if anyone wishes to know do i say Manhattens are the best.. well i am a feedhunter and i find that their software will register a signal pulse even when you are close so it is perfectfor finding birds and feeds etc.... :)

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Movietyme are obviously making too much money if he can afford a 2.7 metre dish:laugh:

11. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It ages since I mugged up on this but I have a dish 80cm x 85cm with 3 LNBs. One for Hotbird another for Astra 19.2 and another for Astra (Sky dig). Works very well. I have a Humax Free To Air receiver (bit old must have better now). This sort of setup if not expensive and you could watch / record from different satelites at the same time.

Harvey

12. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    I have never used a USB Skystar (or a PCI one come to that).
    I use 2 PCI-cards a Broadlogic BL2030 and a Twinhan VP1020 both with Hans Van Oostrom's DVBApps (www.dvbapps.com).
    HDTV is displayed fine using the elecard codecs.
    Ensure that ProgDVB is using the Elecard codecs and not some other codecs for a start.
    As for signal strength, there is no industry reference level for how
    much (what level) signal equates to 50% , 100% or any other reading. Therefore, I wouldn't read anything into the lower signal strength values you see on your Skystar unit.
    Signal strength indications can only really be used to compare levels between transponders received on the same unit and should not be compared with other units at all.
    I recommend posting in a ProgDVB or Skystar forum regarding your problems with HDTV.

As for detecting weak signals, I do quite well with the add-on spectrum analyser unit that I added to my BL2030 : For details see : http://www.moonglow.net/tvro/blsa.html

Chris Muriel, Manchester - also a feedhunter as well as a member of the USA satforums.

13. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool thanks Chris...
    Oh Chris also one more question, maybe you may know someone that you could ask for me if you don't know yourself but i am off to our Philly office in a few months and they wish to get into feedhunting over their.
    Here i set to 1w to find the "arc" any idea which Sat is "in the middle" so to speak in Philadelphia... :confused:

I cannot wait as looking at Lyngsat there is so much over USA (for now anyway although i think things are going to change).

Again thanks in advance for your time and help... :)

14. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713