1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite speakers and receiver advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by alan_turner, Mar 13, 2003.

1. alan_turner

alan_turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Please forgive a general question but I'm new to home cinema and this forum...

I've recently bought a Toshiba 32ZT29B iDTV and a Pioneer DV-656A DVD player. The TV comes with a set of four discrete speakers and internal decoder to provide surround sound.

I'm disappointed with the sound quality (picture is good though) - congested and uneven - which is acceptable with movies but poor for music (mainly classical and opera DVDs). I also want to get the most out of the DVD-A and SACD capabilities of the Pioneer.

I've already by-passed the built-in subwoofer and am using a REL Q100e which has improved the bass. I want to upgrade further with a separate receiver and better quality front, centre and surround speakers. Unfortunately floor-standers and even stand-mounted speakers are out so I'm looking for five (or six) identical satellite speakers to do the job. The problem is getting Hi-Fi quality sound from satellites.

Any advice about suitable receivers and satellites to audition would be greatly appreciated. Components would need to integrate well with my existing equipment, excel in both film and music, and not exceed a £2,000 budget. Am I asking too much?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What aboot two pairs of Kef Q1's ~£400, Q9c ~£200, Denon 3803 AV Amp ~£650?

www.kef.com

3. alan_turner

alan_turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was really looking for smaller speakers, ones that I could wall-mount. I know KEF's KHT2005 have had good reviews but am sceptical about their performance with music. Do you know how they compare with the Q1s?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Kef Eggs aren't bad (£600 for the 5.1 package) but the subwoofer is fairly weak, and the centre (one of the most important speakers in av setup) doesn't sound right, a bit coloured and compressed.

Kef Eggs don't sound fantastic for music either. OK for AV though.

I would recommend something like the Q1's, even though they are bigger I would make space somehow. Standmounters sound miles better than sats (esp. for music)

If you were to go for the Kef Eggs, I would replace the centre Eggs with a Kef Q95 , or preferbly a Kef Model 100 - much better sound.

5. alan_turner

alan_turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

Thanks again for the advice. I'm sure you're right about sound quality of satellites. I'll try to persuade my wife that we need to rearrange the room a little!

Alan

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whatever satellites you buy you won't need the subwoofer as most of them are nowhere near as good as the REL Q100 that you have.

One of the forum favourites is the Anthony Gallo Micros that are not only very discrete, attractive and roomfriendly but also sing very sweetly.

I wasn't really convinced until I heard them at the Brsitol Hifi show last month.

8. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan,

ive recently been down the same path.

you can see below that i went for the denon avr3803
    and the kef egg package (6 eggs)

i can tell u that i am well pleased with both
    movie and music playing ability.
    far higher than i had imagined , after reading many
    concerns about musical ability and bass ability of the sub.

i have a large living room (15ft high ceiling) and walls
    made out of brick as opposed to plaster board.
    The sub could shake the window frame out.

ive been playing a lot of audio cd's recently and havnt once been
    dissapointed on any sound aspect.

This setup will more than please the majority of
    users out there.

every person ive demo'd too have been extremely impressed.

i am very pleased and have no doubt about recomending
    this setup.

9. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Gallos connected in 6.1 to a Denon 3803. They sound superb and especially good with the MPS-150 Gallo sub.

I've heard the Kef eggs and they are good but I found the Gallos so much better especially the sub.

Gallos are not cheap though and a 6.1 would be close to £1500. One thing I can say is that they are very discrete, blend away in the room and the sub is small with only a phono lead between it and the amp.

I was sceptical about them when i first visited the forum and thought - O hear we go again! Another of those where evryone seems to just agree whilst few have listened. My installer who does not stock Gallos recommended another brand, but once I heard the Gallos, I can only say the Gallos deserve the praise this forum gives it. I would be keen to see how they would sound with another sub (Velo, REL etc) - but this only for comparison. Secretly I am hoping that mated to the MPS-150 they sound the best. I know from some threads that Uncle Eric seems to recommend the Gallo sub with the NMs.

10. Marshan Man

Marshan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just wondering... have you checked out NXT panels like the mission AV1 or 2 packages... as u already have the sub... possibly could wangle a reduction in the price....

11. hhalo

hhalo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan,
    I agree with what Ian suggested above. Keep your subwoofer and use them with Gallos speakers. Great sound for the size. 5 or 6 speakers plus the wall mounts or floor stands along with the Denon 3803 and money for the interconnects and you will still have change from the £2000.