Satellite setup for a caravan

mikejjj

Firstly sorry if this has posted twice but i lost the first !
Looking for a satellite system for a caravan, must be capable of recieving a decent Sky signal in the UK and France. Have looked at the smaller suitcase types but have been informed the dish size is the problem so looking for something 60cm+ or anything really that will work. I have to say i no nothing at all about satellite tv, can you use an old sky dish with an old Sky box to recieve freeview or even an old Sky dish with a Sky box and card for Sky tv or even a Sky dish and freeview box ? Anyway any help or advice or recommended tried and tested systems would be greatly appreciated
thanks
mike..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

kdc

yep, you can use an old sky dish and box no problem, its the finding the satellite that will be the most difficult part but very possible...

it depends on how far into france you travel as some channels have a very focussed footprint, i.e. the bbc channels are transmitted so that you can't receive them outside the uk.. again it is possible but then you would need definately need a larger dish...

mikejjj

This might sound daft but if i was to get a stand alone 65cm dish&lnb, aim it in the right direction and plug a free view box into it, would i be able to get the free to air channels ?:confused:

This might sound daft but if i was to get a stand alone 65cm dish&lnb, aim it in the right direction and plug a free view box into it, would i be able to get the free to air channels ?:confused:

No a Freeview box is terrestrial TV received through an aerial NOT a dish. For satellite you need a a satellite receiver - freesat, FTA or FreesatFromSky - each has their own pros and cons. Freesat or FreesatFromSky are probably the best choices for the free English channels from 28 East. If you want FTA channels in other languages from a different satelite(s) then a generic FTA receiver is probably your best choice. What do you want to watch?

SamRadford

Looking for a satellite system for a caravan, must be capable of recieving a decent Sky signal in the UK and France

In that case, look for a Pace BSKYB1000 "Javelin minibox". It's very compact and ideal for a caravan as it can run off 12 volts (but not 13.4 volts, mind).

mikejjj

QUOTE : No a Freeview box is terrestrial TV received through an aerial NOT a dish.
Well you live and learn lol.
All i am after is ability to get a decent picture and watch british channels in the UK and in France whilst on holiday if it's possible. Looking to buy a stand alone 60-65cm dish and reciever to leave in the caravan so don't really need an all singing and dancing jobby just something to suit the purpose but don't really know anything about Sat TV, ie which dish and which reciever would be best suited for the job?
cheers
mike..
Any advice or recommendations would be great:confused:

Don't you need a card in the Sky box even to view free channels then or would i be able to watch the free to air without a card ???

Last edited:

fernandez

Novice Member
Don't you need a card in the Sky box even to view free channels then or would i be able to watch the free to air without a card ???

The FTA channels can be seen without a card but the BBC1/ITV1 regions may default to London/West Midlands and FIVE will need to be tuned in manually and accessed through the 'Other Channels' menu.

A £19.57 card will give the correct regions, ensure that C4 and FIVE appear on the EPG and give access to Sky3 and Setanta Sports News

mikejjj

Am i going mad or did someone just post a link to a website selling sat kits, If so were did it go :rolleyes: ?

John

Dave11 has turned out to be a serial spammer , makes a few posts without links, few posts with . All linking to the same store. His post was binned as a result , and whilst he keeps linking to that store they will continue to be binned

john

wilkybobs

Novice Member
Hi .
My friend has a similar problem touring in south west france,he has a zone 1 dish on his tourer caravan but i think he needs a zone 2 dish as recieving intermitently but this zone 1 is on the roof but don't know if the motor will take a zone 2 as the arm seems to be seperate and lnb might be out of plonk with zone 2.
Also on a fTA receiver with zone 1 dish fitted should the motor stop on Asrta 2 when selected in menu and automaticly scan as we are finding dish goes round and round or should this mean this is definatly the size of dish problem? because I noticed if we tried to juderd the dish round off the motor /remote we did get some signal and if I put some weight on the dish just pushing it to one side I got 30% on vertical on a sat meter off astra 2 wired out onto a sat meter..
Do you have to scan channles or usualy do these receivers auto scan when astra2 is selected and stop exactly on satellite or can they be slightly out and need ajustment or is it definatly the dish size in south west france inland Bordeaux.

Thanks for any input on motors /caravan setups
WB.:confused:

ford_jj

Standard Member
That's certainly thinking out of the box!!!

How well does it do in the winds though?

But, 10/10 for an ingenious idea...
clear.gif

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom