Satellite Receiver for Middle East Use

Sontawila

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I live in the Middle East and recently bought Humax Foxsat HDR. Unfortunately, I found out, since I don't have freesat, that non freesat channels you can't set timer to record nor can you transfer recorded SD media to USB storage.

After reading through multiple sites I came to the conclusion that there is no way around it. So I decided to just return it and buy another model that can be used to get free channels from Arabsat, Nilesat, Hotbird and:

1- Has HD output (preferably component)
2- Can record up to 2 channels and watch a third
3- Can arrange the channels as I see fit (humax starts the channel list from non freesat from 5000)
4- Set a timer for recording (one program or more?) that can bet set to record programs daily on a specific time without the use of EPG (Some channels doesn't have EPG)
5- Overall fast menus
6 (Optional)- Can copy recorded files to external storage via USB
7- Ability to sort channels alphabetically
I've went through a lot of threads and the amount of info avilable is overwhelming. I have a humble knowledge of satellites (I dont know what is freesat nor freeview) so I was hoping that you guys help me out figuring out which would be suitable.

Any suggestion?

Hey Guys,

I live in the Middle East and recently bought Humax Foxsat HDR. Unfortunately, I found out, since I don't have freesat, that non freesat channels you can't set timer to record nor can you transfer recorded SD media to USB storage.

After reading through multiple sites I came to the conclusion that there is no way around it. So I decided to just return it and buy another model that can be used to get free channels from Arabsat, Nilesat, Hotbird and:

1- Has HD output (preferably component)
2- Can record up to 2 channels and watch a third
3- Can arrange the channels as I see fit (humax starts the channel list from non freesat from 5000)
4- Set a timer for recording (one program or more?) that can bet set to record programs daily on a specific time without the use of EPG (Some channels doesn't have EPG)
5- Overall fast menus
6 (Optional)- Can copy recorded files to external storage via USB
7- Ability to sort channels alphabetically
I've went through a lot of threads and the amount of info avilable is overwhelming. I have a humble knowledge of satellites (I dont know what is freesat nor freeview) so I was hoping that you guys help me out figuring out which would be suitable.

Any suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
You might look at a VU+ Duo - it's Linux so you might get it to work to fit your whole list.

Moved :smashin:

Hi and welcome to AVF but please do not open two threads again on the same subject.
Almost any satellite receiver would give you all the features except the second which would require more than one tuner, which is not standard.
The Technomate 7102 does have two tuners: Technomate TM-7102HD PVR High Definition satellite receiver.
Freesat receivers are made for what the name says - the free satellite channels in the UK.
Similarly Freeview receivers are for the free terrestrial digital channels in the UK.
Feel free to ask if you want more details of pedro's - VU+Duo IS a model - or my suggestion, or any other receiver.
Logiciel

ah it's one model. But i have more questions:

Does it support time shift recording?
Does time shift get reset when changing channels?
Does it come with built in HD?

Just to confirm: does it have recorder timer? and time shift?

Also I see there is no reference to built in hard disk. Does it come with one?

I don't have anything to do with these "Linux" receivers, but I'd be surprised if it didn't do the standard record and time-shift features.
The specification says: "1 x internal SATA connection for HDD (not included)", so that would be another ÂŁ30 to ÂŁ50 for a drive.

I'm sure there's other receivers that will do something of what you want, it was just the first one I thought of that could probably do it all -

... there's a VU+Duo owners thread on here- lots of info- the VU+Duo has a lot of other freatures - it should do a lot more than you have thought of already and the ones we've installed for have universal feedback of how good they are- but it is a Linux receiver so you need to satisfy yourself you are happy with it being a Linux based receiver.

Last edited:
This might be an opportunity to give a few details of what advantages there are in Linux receivers - what they can do that others can't.
I'd be as interested as anyone to find out.

Thanks guys for the helpful info. I'm curious pedro, when you say "you are happy with it being a Linux based receiver" is this a big deal.

Like logiciel I too want to know what those receivers can do while other cant?

Thanks guys for the helpful info. I'm curious pedro, when you say "you are happy with it being a Linux based receiver" is this a big deal.

Like logiciel I too want to know what those receivers can do while other cant?

Although you can just use the VU+Duo out of the box like a general (generic) receiver (that might do most of what you want & more), Linux receivers can be made to do almost anything but that does require a bit of messing & a learning curve to really get the most out of them, you can download different f/w images & plugins & change the way they work and even program mods yourself [if you are into a bit of programming], at that level it's pretty much like a satellite receiver based computer so you could get them to do an almost infinite number of things with it's hardware, peripherals & coms hardware.

99% use software that people have just programmed & put out on public domain & some of it has got the feel more of a programmer's user interface & tbh.. most are probably used for card share.

edit ... just noticed you've asked the right questions in the right place on the VU+Duo thread..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom