1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite Questions from a newbie.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by MrJubbly, Jan 11, 2002.

1. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My AV set-up is getting a bit dated now so I’m in the process of upgrading. As part of this upgrade I am finally going to take the plunge and incorporate Satellite (digital). Until now I’ve never really been bothered and as a result I know absolutely diddly squat about it. In view of this I have some initial (what may appear to rather dumb) questions that I hope you guys will be able to help me with:

- What’s the best way to go about getting a service? I know there are satellite installation services out there but are there shops/places where you can have a ‘play’/see what’s available before you buy?

- In general, where do most people position their box (receiver/tuner) in their AV set-up, in terms of audio and video connectivity? Personally I would have thought that you’d position it like any other AV component. I.e. everything through the Amp.

- If the above AV set-up is adopted can you video from Satellite, bypassing the Amp? I.e. direct from the tuner.

- How does satellite work with TVs that have PIP, POP, PAP, PAT or dual tuner functionality? Do these functions become null and void? I would assume the tuners do.

- When people talk about switching between analogue and digital signal in respects to Satellite viewing are they switching between Satellite and Terrestrial or can Satellite provide both. E.g. If I subscribed to Sky Digital and was watching BBC1 could I watch the same broadcast in analogue?

- For people that subscribe to a service that provides the 5 terrestrial channels, do they ditch their terrestrial ariel once they have Satellite?

- Any other advice anyone can offer for the novice would also be appreciated.

I think that’s enough.

TIA

MrJubbly

2. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My main recommendation would be to get your digital sat system from a CAI installer (look in yellow pages) then you can choose which receiver you get (if you go direct to Sky you'll get whatever they fancy giving you). I'd personnally go for the Sony as it's the only one that has digital out (and looks nice!).
    RGB picture output is the best, so choose a DVD player that has RGB loopthrough capability and then input that to (an RGB capable) TV - I'm assuming you're kinda starting from scratch and therefore can choose all these bits! If you get the Sony, then contect the audio via digital optical to your amp - if not it's probably easiest to use phono out of your TV back to your amp (that way all your AV sources connected via scarts will play back thru the same amp input and you won't have to keep switching).
    I've forgotten what your other questions were now, but that's probably enough from me anyway, 'cos I'm sure other people will have different views!

Simon

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currys or Comets have this running so it will give you an idea of what the system is like (to a certain extent)

Digi box connects to the TV/video via scart and to the amp via phonos. Rack/cabinet if no room under the TV, try to keep interconnects as short as poss.

Digi box has 2 scarts one to the TV the other to the VIDEO thus taping directly from the digi box.

All features on my sony work as normal pip, pop and twin tuners.
    with twin tuners you can have SKY in one window and video/ analouge in the other.

Sky will only provide digital pictures, you will have to switch to your aerial for anolouge. You can watch digital and tape anolouge or visa versa

No......... for the reasons above, cable is different coz they provide analouge as well as digital with their digibox.

Hope this helps.................

;)

4. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply swarrans,

I already have an AV setup with everything (Standard HiFi bits plus S-VHS vid, LaserDisc and DVD Player) going through the AMP.

I am in the processess of upgrading my TV from a 34" 4:3 to a 36" 16:9. I'm also looking to upgrade my Amp which is only Prologic and has no RGB or optical facilties.

Regards

MrJubbly

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Routing the video via the amp is becoming a bit old hat. The need to compromise video quality by using composite or s-video is not really acceptable nowadays. Especially, when you consider that most new televisions can act as the hub for audio and then a single connection to the amp from the tv and one from the dvd (and any other digital sources or unrelated sources) will be fine.

You also need to consider that many sources use the scart pin 8 for widescreen switching and not using a scart lead will leave you having to manually switch between 4:3 and 16:9 when you go between 4:3 transmissions and anamorphic widescreen transmissions.