1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite PVR?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by harveytate, Aug 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. harveytate

harveytate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having moved house I am now a satellite receiver.... I don't wont to go down the SKY+ route and pay at least £10 a month to be able to record FTA/FTV TV - However I would like to buy a satellite receiver with a built in PVR (and maybe even attach it to a ethernet network). Does such a thing exist...?

Many Thanks

Harvey

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    If you want a 1 box solution then your only option is Sky+ as Sky don't let other companies make hardware for receiving their broadcasts.

Your only other option is a 2 box solution of your existing STB & a TiVo or DVD/HDD recorder. TiVo offers the best PVR features going, but will cost you £10 per month or £200 lifetime subscription. A DVD recorder (with or without a HDD) will be free to use, but will not be a PVR, ie no EPG etc so will need to be set manually like a VCR.
    TiVo can be used without the sub, but again ends up just being a recorder with very few PVR features.

Mark.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    Actually some newer models (incl Pioneer) have GuidePlus (TM) and an IR controller for things like $ky boxes. So you can use an EPG with these.

4. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are loads of these available for FTA use or with CI adaptors/cards. Unfortunately they are not widely available. I subscribe to Tele Satellite magazine which is produced in Germany but is mostly in English and has reviews of some amazing Sat receivers with HDD and even multiple tuners. Try http://www.tele-satellite.com/eng/ and have a look at the review for the Topfield TF5000 for instance. Don't forget that even though ITV/Ch4 and Ch5 are "free to air", you do need a "Freesat" card which will not work in anything but a "Sky" receiver as there is no Common Interface Adaptor available for the "Videoguard" system that Sky use. FTA reception of BBC programmes does not require any CI interface or card.