Question Satellite on my C6

jrl

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve just tried to get Freesat working on my C6 ,I’ve previously had sky Q so have already got the sky installed dish
I believed that just using one of the two connections from the dish would work ( the C6 only having one input)
I have tried both the dish connections, in turn, and tuned the sat in ,I don’t get any programs showing until 100% it then finds approximately 157 programs
I can get the Satellite program guide on screen but can’t select anything! And the TV says there’s no signal
Am I doing something wrong, or is it not possible to use the Sky Q dish in this way
Thanks
Bob

If the LNB has two outputs only and was working with Sky Q, it's specific to Sky Q. The dish will be OK so either get a four output Sky LNB or a six output Sky Hybrid LNB if you ever need Sky Q again.

Thanks , I had a feeling it would be incompatible, don’t think I’ll bother getting a different lnb. I was only trying it because it was already there

Your choice.

But they are only about £10 upwards, but obviously it depends on how easy or not it is to access the dish.

That's odd....

If your TV is able to scan the satellite and list the Freesat channels I would have thought you would be able to view them.

Were you prompted to enter your postcode, which is required so the Freesat service knows which 'local' region you're in?

Personally, I mainly use the DVB-S/S2 satellite service for viewing broadcast television but as I don't like Freesat's channel numbers I've been experimenting re-numbering them all to match Sky's platform...

Nothing odd about it, if it is a Sky Q LNB only, which it appears to be, as it is a proprietary technology.

Has been discussed at some length in the satellite forum of this website.

Nothing odd about it, if it is a Sky Q LNB only, which it appears to be, as it is a proprietary technology.

Has been discussed at some length in the satellite forum of this website.
Thanks for the info... I'll have to read-up about it. I'm still using one of Sky's old satellite dishes and quad LNB's.

I do remember something about if the postcode was wrong it would be corrected on connection, but don’t remember seeing anywhere to enter it ?

Went into TV , general settings,location, entered postcode which then wiped all the sat channels, retuned got channels back but still no signal to TV , LNB must be incompatible!

Went into TV , general settings,location, entered postcode which then wiped all the sat channels, retuned got channels back but still no signal to TV , LNB must be incompatible!

Post #2.

Having never installed Sky Q equipment I've been doing some reading up. And as Fred has mentioned from the beginning you will need to change your LNB @jrl

Yes I understand that ( and thanks for the info )
I’m not going to change the LNB or drill further holes through the wall
I was only giving it a try as it appeared to be just a matter of plugging the existing cable into the TV
Thanks for all the replies

Yes I understand that ( and thanks for the info )
I’m not going to change the LNB or drill further holes through the wall
I was only giving it a try as it appeared to be just a matter of plugging the existing cable into the TV
Thanks for all the replies

Where does "drill further holes through the wall" come into it?

I suppose I could pull the existing cable out ? I was assuming I would need to run a different cable through ? + I want to leave the original in place in case I go back to Sky Q

I suppose I could pull the existing cable out ? I was assuming I would need to run a different cable through ? + I want to leave the original in place in case I go back to Sky Q

Why? Just use it, the cable and dish are the same for Sky Q and Freesat, just the LNB is different. Change the LNB, either keep the existing Sky Q one for future use or get a Hybrid (six outputs) which will work both for Sky Q and Freesat or Sky HD etc. Obviously if you want both Sky Q and Freesat you would require a third cable.

Not had any experience with Satellite, is there any benefits over Freeview?
And is it easy to change the LNB also would any re alignment be required?
Thanks

Not had any experience with Satellite

Thought you had, had Sky? Freesat is similar but no subscription channels.

I’ve just tried to get Freesat working on my C6 ,I’ve previously had sky Q so have already got the sky installed dish
Bob

, is there any benefits over Freeview?

Big debate. More channels on Freesat, some duplicated on both, some just on one or the other. Ideally you could have and use both as required.

And is it easy to change the LNB also would any re alignment be required?
Thanks

Should be easy, but depends on how high it is and if you have suitable equipment i.e. ladders and are competent, if not get a quote from a local aerial installer.
If you don't move the dish realignment should not be required.
Instruction on the net if you search, video's around try Youtube.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom