Satellite not locked / signal strength / poor quality

Marmite47

Novice Member
Hi, I recently posted an issue (could not pick up any channels) with my Panasonic DMR-BS850EB, it turned out that a capacitor had failed, anyway all is working now and I have tried the unit out at a friends and get full signal strength & quality.

However I live in an area with very high trees opposite and close to me and am finding it very difficult to get a locked signal, I am using a standard (size?) Sky dish, the strength varies (7-9 out of 10) and the quality varies (4-7 out of 10) and although at the best I can get a 'tv guide' showing programmes there is not enough quality to get the channels.

I have a very small 'opening' between the trees giving me the correct 28.2 deg E setting, currently the dish is attached to a post (no point in attaching to the house itself as there is no clear view of the sky at the correct angle) I can make small adjustment but signal is still poor so my question is: are there any devices available that can boost the signal quality and strength or would a bigger (what size) dish help?

I am sure that the answer wont be that straight forward but any help would be welcome especially given the original issue I had with my box I am so keen to get a signal. Thanks.

PS please feel free to move or re post this thread if I have put it into the wrong group!!

logiciel

The website shows this as a Freeview machine, not a satellite one.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Bigger dish will pick up more signal, but require more accurate alignment.
Zone 2 instead of Zone 1 would be the first thing to try with the existing $ky LNB?

WF100 type cable is a must not the thin WF65 shotgun stuff. Maybe even WF125 if going a significant distance.

Don't neglect LNB skew adjustment to help improve Quality (by rejecting H pickup of V-tuned signals and vice versa).

BUT if the trees are waving around in front of the satellite then nothing can help. Nor will it help if that simple pole is moving in the wind.

I assume you've tried a phone app to see the satellite position in the sky from the dish location?

@logiciel It's definitely freesat+ Home review

Fred Smith

Marmite47

Novice Member
The website shows this as a Freeview machine, not a satellite one.

Bigger dish will pick up more signal, but require more accurate alignment.
Zone 2 instead of Zone 1 would be the first thing to try with the existing $ky LNB?

WF100 type cable is a must not the thin WF65 shotgun stuff. Maybe even WF125 if going a significant distance.

Don't neglect LNB skew adjustment to help improve Quality (by rejecting H pickup of V-tuned signals and vice versa).

BUT if the trees are waving around in front of the satellite then nothing can help. Nor will it help if that simple pole is moving in the wind.

I assume you've tried a phone app to see the satellite position in the sky from the dish location?

@logiciel It's definitely freesat+ Home review
Hi Thanks for the advice, my brother is the 'techy' in the family so I'll pass this to him to digest :0 and come back to forum when I can. Ps pole is fixed ;)

Thanks also to you and Fred for informing logical it's freesat....

logiciel

The letters and numbers are very confusing.:D

Vin Blanc

Hi Marmite from Malvern.

A larger dish will not make any difference at all. Your problem is “line of sight” to the satellite being obstructed by trees.

Do you have a garden large enough to mount your dish more or less at ground level as far away as possible from the offending trees?

Remember that an “Off set” type dish does not point exactly where it appears to.

If the dish can be sited further away from the trees, it may be possible to aim the dish well above them.

Vin Blanc

P.S. Malvern brings back many memories for me!

Attachments

• Dish relative to Satellite.JPG
    Dish relative to Satellite.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 15

Marmite47

Novice Member
Hi Vin Blanc

Thanks for your reply, I will pass it on to my techy brother! :)

Dont know when you were last in Malvern but it has changed a lot! Hope the memories were good ones.

Best wishes Marmite47

Oh just to add, unfortunately the garden is not big enough to move the dish, there is really only one possible/ best location which is where we are trying. The trees are 80' high and directly on the opposite side of the road, the back of the garden is only c30' (max) from the house

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
With those quality and signal figures, I would expect at least some signal, even if it's not particularly stable.

Might be worth trying another receiver and seeing if that performs any better.

What are you using to align the dish? I found a combination of a satellite finder app for the rough pointing and a £10 meter was enough to align a dish to give me 80% signal strength and 90% quality down nearly 40M of WF100 with 3 sets of joints!

Vin Blanc

Hi Vin Blanc

Dont know when you were last in Malvern but it has changed a lot! Hope the memories were good ones.

Best wishes Marmite47
Hi Marmite47.

I lived the first 30 years of my life just off the Malvern Road in St Johns, Worcester.

I became a telephone engineer (technician), installing and updating Tel. exchanges all over Worcestershire

Spent many hours in the old exchange in Church Street, Malvern and helped to install and commission all the equipment in the new exchange when it was built (back in 1964/65 I think).

As a teenager, Saturday nights were spent dancing at the Winter Gardens in Malvern, (missed the last bus home on one occasion and walked home to Worcester – about 8 miles).

Climbed the Malvern Hills (including British Camp and drinking at the Brit. Camp Hotel) on many an occasion.

In later years, I (we) caravanned at the C&C club near Hanley Swan, (I remember the site when it was an army camp).

Ah yes, those were the days!

Vin Blanc

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom