1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite Newbie PLZ help!! - Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Tupo, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Tupo

Tupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Could anyone out there please help me!!!!

I have recently moved to Germany from the UK to be with the missus... 1 problem though.. My German language is very limited at the moment so I wish to view English TV in Germany (FTA, FTV, SKY)

Reciever advice please!!!: What is the best sat. reciever for me.

What I want:
    FTA & FTV channels with the ability to possibly upgrade to a sky subcription later (By using a friends second card and not plugging the telephone line in!).

DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 Output (VERY IMPORTANT!!)
    I have heard it is only sky+ boxes that have this..... Is this true???????!!!!!!! I DO NOT WANT sky + because I dont want to be bound by a sky subscription (with a UK address) and I dont want the SKY+ service also!!!!!! (Dont fancy dialling out to the UK all the time) but if this is the only box capable of outputting DD 5.1 then I suppose I could use it as a standard reciever. Would this still work OK????

Reciever choices!!!!
    I am looking for advice on a box. I was thinking of the Sony models with DD5.1 output but now I have the feeling they actually dont!?????

What is the deal with these MULTICAM recievers with digital output???? They could be ideal for me. If a get a multicam one... what does that mean??? I get free adult channels?? or it gives me the facility to put in different satellite cards to enable me to watch adult channels etc....??? HELP!!!!!
    Is the DD output on these stereo or fully dolby digital 5.1????

I know this would involve a motorised mech. to move the dish. Some of these recievers find the satelites automatically.. Does that mean it will turn the dish auto too????

So many questions!!!!!!
    THANKYOU EVERYONE for looking at my lengthy post.. I hope someone can help me.

2. Tupo

Tupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    If I got a second hand sky+ box could it just act as a sky recíever without the need for a quad lnb on my dish?????? This would give me DD5.1 output gauranteed.