Satellite in an apartment

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bungalow Bill, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Bungalow Bill

Bungalow Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Greetings

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, I'm a satellite newbie.

I recently moved into a large (54 units) apartment block that was built about 18 months ago. The building has a communal dish on the roof and each flat has a wall panel that includes connections for terrestrial TV and satellite.

If I buy a second hand satellite receiver on ebay is it as simple as plugging into the wall socket to gain access to the free to air channels?

Or would I need get an installer to activate a link from the satellite dish to the wire that leads down to my apartment?

I'm looking at bidding on a Grundig 3000 (with the S-Video out to connect to my PC) at ebay.

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    You would need to ask a neighbour who already watches satellite TV, or your building management. Nobody can guess whether your wall socket is connected at the head-end. On balance it probably is, so you could maybe borrow a box and try it.

3. Bungalow Bill

Bungalow Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Sam

I'll have a word with the concierge tomorrow morning.

4. redwing

redwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    probably wont be able to have sky + though if you want that in the future.

If its a new building as you say and has a communial dish they are all geared up for sky just plug it and and get the card activated but from my experience all the ones ive seen (including mine :mad: ) only have 1 line so you CAN have sky+ or Sky HD but you can only record the channel you are watching .

I hope yours is different but ive not seen any yet .

5. Bungalow Bill

Bungalow Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK. I've just borrowed a skybox from a guy I met in in the bin store. The good news is I get a signal!!

Thanks for the input redwing. Yes I knew about the sky+ limitations.

It's frustration, but I'm using a HTPC with 3 X DVB-T tuners, so I already have sky+ type functionality, albeit with a limited choice of channels. My intention is to link the satellite box into the system via the S-Video socket on the back of the grundig 3000. Think I'm happy with FTA for the moment, but that may well change in the future.

Fingers crossed I win that auction.

6. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    That's good news then. You are sorted and at minimal cost. :)

7. elgordano

elgordano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm in a similiar situation with a shared dish and i know i can receive a normal sky signal. i haven't found anyone i can borrow a sky+ box from yet but is there another way of telling if i can recieve a sky+ signal? the dish appears to have 4 cables coming from it if that helps.

8. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Virtually every multi user communal system will have four cables from the dish to a multiswitch (satellite distribution amplifier). From that the outputs go to each user. Do you have two satellite outputs in your flat? If you do not you will not be able to use Sky+ (to its full potential) without getting a new cable installed from the multiswitch (possibly may also need new multiswitch if all outputs are already in use) to your flat. Even if you do have two outputs in your flat they may not be both connected. If you have two connect your box to the other output if it works you will probably be OK. If it doesn't you need to talk to the landlord/management committee or their installers. I am sorry we are not clairvoyant to be able to tell you whether or not it will work without paying someone to install.

9. elgordano

elgordano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks. i think you've answered my query. i only have 1 cable in my flat and the multiswitch amp is full :-(

looks like i'll just have to use sky+ with 1 channel like my old tivo.

10. samat2001

samat2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry to bump up this very old thread, but my girlfriend is in a similar situation. She lives in a flat (small building, 2 flats downstairs, 2 upstairs) and there is a Satellite dish on the building (I assume it is a communial one but I don't know for sure). In the living room, there is a panal with (I think) four connection slots (but no wires coming out of it)...I remember one of them said 'Satellite' though. Do you reckon that by connecting up a Sky box that we'd be able to get all the free to view channels on this?

11. Platelet

Platelet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  12. samat2001

samat2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for replying - I actually tried it yesterday and...it works! The other thing I should mention is that there are two sockets on the wall - I tried a cable from each one and both gave a Satellite signal - does this mean that it could potentially give Sky+ functions (ie:Recording two channels etc)?

13. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    yeah if you have 2 signal feeds you can use the sky+