Satellite dual LNB coaxial cable recommendation 20M?

buglebum

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just finished moving all my gear from "in front of the TV" - "to a rack in the opposite side of the room" as many people do. Have finished installing everything through various trunking/speaker wire/HDMI cables/Ethernet cable/etc etc.

Last part that needs moving is my satellite XBMC box, which is currently still sitting in the corner of the room behind front left speaker. Ideally want this moved near the rack which would mean needing another 15M of run from the satellite dish outside.

I would like recommendation on dual LNB cable to remove the crap that the Sky engineer installed a couple of years ago, was never happy with the quality anyway (the shielding in it is appalling as even just moving all the gear across the room as improved the SNR ratio substantially which is surely a sign of crap cable imo).

Anyways :)

Looking for recommendation on 20M of cable to take from the dish (so will need new connectors too I expect as if I'm replacing the cable anyway might as well get rid of the nasty Sky junk)

Must be dual LNB and obviously a few metres of it will be outside so needs to be suitable for outside. Saw Van Damme seem to offer some cable of this type but there's so much to chose from, hard to know what to go for and what fittings I'll need on the dish side - if any.

So, hope someone can help with a suggestion on what to get please :)

Dual LNB (or do Sky HD dishes have quad?)
Suitable for outside use from dish
Dish is standard mini dish provided for "Sky HD".
Connectors on dish?
Best SNR/picture quality (within reasonable cost/performance ratio)
Would be nice if termination at box end wasn't just a nasty copper wire that falls apart in the hand, like the sky stuff, and terminated into proper "screw" thing...although not sure how that would fit through wall so if that end was removable it would be helpful, but still fit securely once attacked)

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi.
You don't need to give this all that much concern.
The distance is typical and any cable that's sold for the purpose would do the job for you.
F-plugs for the ends of the cables cost next to nothing and are very easy to fix.
Quad LNBs are standard, and there's probably nothing wrong with yours but it won't cost much to replace it.
It's whether or not you get all the channels that matters more than the numbers of SRN and so on.
This is a good place to read up on it all though: The best coaxial Cable for Sky, Freesat, Freeview.

Last edited:
Different from what?
MP sells cable for the purpose and that will do OP's job.

Thanks for the replies (and rather quick!) :)

When you say "MP" not sure what you mean assume this is a retailer of course, could I be so cheeky as to ask for a direct link to what would do the job?

Cheers again,

Actually scratch that, looks like that website gives all the info needed :)

SG2 50g tube silicone grease
WF100WHTWIN20M White length 20 metres
WF1FPLUG Threaded F plug
boot1 Rubber boot
FIX91A UNIFIX (14x7) WHITE CLIPS box 100

This seems to be what I'll need for a dual LNB setup?

Last edited by a moderator:
Allow me to introduce my and the forum's friend and fellow-member MP: UK satellite and Freeview information.
Yes, you have what you need but I'll take the prices out as he doesn't get advertising here.;)

Allow me to introduce my and the forum's friend and fellow-member MP: UK satellite and Freeview information.
Yes, you have what you need but I'll take the prices out as he doesn't get advertising here.;)

Oh right, well he's just got a sale...

I hope he's not offering discounts to AV-Forums members because I've placed the order now although did track down a £1 code :p

Thanks for the advice any direction, thought this would be a nightmare but just been up the ladder to have a look and will be doddle to do, much appreciated :smashin:

He doesn't do reductions, but does do fair prices.
Good you took up my point about not being too concerned about this and confirmed it up the ladder - which is something not many would want to do in this weather!

lol, well it's a bit chilly but no rain here thankfully. Was good to finally see what I'm getting ripped off for from satellite installers :) Did actually pay some guy £40 to check things over a while ago as wasn't getting some channels, he was next to useless and left with it in exactly the same condition, I suspected the cable but he assured me it wasn't. It was only after moving all the AV stuff away that I realized it was the cable, so hopefully two birds with one stone here, otherwise I'll be back with more long winded posts!

No snow either?;)
Sky installations are usually good so you were unlucky there and could have complained to them about it - you probably still could.

No snow either?;)
Sky installations are usually good so you were unlucky there and could have complained to them about it - you probably still could.

I *could* have but, but it was installed approximately 4 years ago. Don't actually subscribe to sky anymore and haven't done for a couple of years, the installer the came was a local person, I'm not sure he'd actually ever seen a satellite dish before to be honest and might have just been waving a calculator around at the top of a ladder.

There we go though, my own fault. Thought I'd just get it sorted myself now I know the problem.

Edit...no snow either, lol I suppose you could swap "chilly" for "(expletive)-FREEZING!" though.

You certainly could do that swap here!
It is too late to complain to Sky now, but it is unusual in my experience to get a bad instal like that.

Last edited:
.. it is unusual in my experience to get a bad instal like that.

You'd change that opinion if you'd seen as many as me - the first thing you have to do is check everything if you are doing anything on one that's already installed. Even if it's a motorised but there's a sky box anywhere in the property that is interconnected in any way ( RF/SCART/HDMI etc.), it's good practice to check that hasn't got it's own faults, the main one being psu issues - some of which I'm sure are caused by a poor install - badly fitted f connectors causing shorts.
You do come across some decent sky installs but it's more the exception - they have to get them fitted fast & move on.

You'd change that opinion if you'd seen as many as me - the first thing you have to do is check everything if you are doing anything on one that's already installed. Even if it's a motorised but there's a sky box anywhere in the property that is interconnected in any way ( RF/SCART/HDMI etc.), it's good practice to check that hasn't got it's own faults, the main one being psu issues - some of which I'm sure are caused by a poor install - badly fitted f connectors causing shorts.
You do come across some decent sky installs but it's more the exception - they have to get them fitted fast & move on.

Have to agree on this last bit, I've personally witnessed 4 sky installs in my lifetime (ok it's hardly hundreds), but in each case I can remember them very clearly for some reason and I think that's down to not being sure if I was watching a Formula 1 pit stop or a satellite dish being wired up. That's a serious analogy stupid as it sounds.

You'd change that opinion if you'd seen as many as me
I didn't give an opinion - I stated my experience.
You have far and away more experience and I've no doubt about that at all.

You'll be pleased to know that we DO have snow here - but you'd have to climb to 2000 metres to dip your toe in it!
Outside, as the sun goes down, it's a tad chilly at only 16.5°C.

I hope he's not offering discounts to AV-Forums members
Sorry, margins are really tight as we have to compete with certain large companies who avoid paying UK tax. And eBay sellers who forget to add seller fees, Paypal fees and the true cost of postage (i.e. not "free"). They go bust after 6 months but another one pops up to take their place. It keeps us on our toes! But our prices are competitive and we offer free technical advice of a quality you won't find elsewhere, because I've been in the business since 1990. (Read my April 1 "blog" for the full story.)

But remember its date while you read.:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom