1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

satellite dish upgrade

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rudy, Oct 26, 2005.

1. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone upgraded their dish? A bigger, better dish can be had for 40 quid, not much really. I imagine this would dramatically improve the pic on most plasmas on sky

2. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Unless you normally have a signal strength and signal quality of less than around 50%, a larger dish will not improve your picture at all - possibly with the exception of in very bad weather when the picture may not drop out as much.

3. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: is there anyone out there who's had this upgrade :confused: just so they could comment on any picture improvements.Cos if it does £40 is definatly worth it especialy for the 42"+ owners out there.....

4. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I fail to see how a larger dish can improve PQ, after all it's a digital signal. The only time the quality changes is, like Steve said, during a storm when the picture breaks up and goes all blocky.

5. Blue_Polo

Blue_Polo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Steve says, you will not notice any difference whatsoever by installing a larger dish, unless the sky is full of very heavy rain/snow clouds.

I used to have a 5' Dia dish to receive satellites that do not beam a signal to the UK, so the signal is a lot weaker, so you need a larger dish to receive enough signal. Because you are receiving digital signals, once you have a signal that the electronics can see, it is not going to get any better because it is either on or off. The fact of the signal getting stronger cannot affect anything.
    The picture quality was exactly the same from my large dish & the standard sky dish.
    You would just be throwing the money away. Use it to buy the wife a large bunch of flowers - you may get more for it! :thumbsup:

6. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Larger Dish it will only insure stronger signal, but the PQ will remain the same-if you are not happy with the PQ you probably need to upgrade your sat. receiver.

7. joseywales

joseywales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Im an independant satellite installer , a bigger dish will make no difference to picture quality as the other guys on here are saying . Digital satellite either works or it doesnt .

8. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Absolute true! But some receivers output better video then other.

9. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ignore these guys, just like putting your CD's in the freezer, and not running your power cables into the same socket, if you think it gives a better picture, go for it.

I've seen those huge dishes the government use, they must get great pictures, and I bet their signal strength is way above 50%. :rotfl:

More seriously, a cloud goes by, it gets a bit windy, and well of course, the signal will deteriorate but hey...............it's digital, a bigger dish won't make a difference????. In that case, maybe I should get a smaller dish, and all those houses with ugly dishes bolted to the front, they could ahve had ones half the size??????????

10. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Josey, What about upgrading the LNB on the dish? Mine was replaced (with a different type, much lighter in weight)and I feel the picture is now worse. I'm getting a slight 'shadow', for example a logo in red will have a white shadow on the left, like bad reception on an old telly. Could this be bad repositioning of the dish or an inferior LNB?