satellite dish or freeview?

Richard H

Standard Member
a few years ago I paid £100 to sky for a dish/box (Panasonic TU-DSB31) to get satellite reception but without any subscription.

the channels that the box would receive seemed to change almost on a daily basis and with no apparent pattern, which was ok until some of the major 5 channels disappeared. A few questions arise-

1 - the box has a blue "sky digital" viewing card which i assume is now out of date. I thought i had read somewhere about a free replacement card (is such a thing available??) and somewhere else about a card for £20. Having had £100 out of me I am reluctant to pay sky another penny - but if I did stump up the cash would i get a full range of the non subscription channels? eg ITV2, E4, More4

2. another alternative would appear to be to ditch the dish and go Freeview. This appears to be a more expensive route (another box to buy) and would only seem to be worthwhile if freeview brings with it some worthwhile extra channels. Is there a difference in the channels i could receive on freeview and where can i find a list of the differences between the 2 set ups as far as channels are concerned?

3. i have heard about a BBC satellite service. Is this available yet and at what cost? again is it (or will it ) have a full range of "free" channels?

many thanks to anyone who can help with some comments !!

Chris Muriel

1) The $ky Freesat card will get you ITV, Channel 4 etc. Cost is £20. I am sure that a Google search should tell you the full list of available channels (or someone else may send you a link).
Old cards with a yellow house on them mostly work ; you may have to leave them in the STB for a time for them to be reactivated.

2) Plenty of sites list the available Freeview terrestrial channels. A Freeview box can now be sourced for around 30 quid. I believe E4 is free on Freeview but not on Freesat ; there may be a couple of other channels in the same category.

3) I don't have any details about the proposed BBC satellite service.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

Heinz

Freeview (DTT) channels are listed (in their new channel number order) HERE.

Freesat channels are those shown as 'FTA' HERE.

Careful perusal will show that there are a few channels which are on DTT but which either aren't on or are subscription channels on satellite - to the annoyance of some.

Trending threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom