Satellite dish and LNB for Freesat box

john9159

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought a Gt media V7S Freesat receiver two years ago in error thinking it was a Freeview box.
I kept it all the same but never bought a dish for and would like to try it now.
It's a lot more flimsy than I expected but I have to try and put it to good use.
I need advice as I am overwhelmed with options for satellite dishes and LNB. Someone said a Sky dish will do but what about the LNB?

Thanks

Is there really anything to be had that you don’t already have?

If you do go ahead you’ll need any standard dish with any standard LNB.

It is not a freesat box - rather a generic free to air satellite receiver.
As such it will be a pita to organise channels into order etc.,. for use as a UK sat receiver.

Freesat is only mentioned in the listing title and nowhere else. Amazon product ASIN B07MTFY6V4
The listing (still) mentions DVB-T/T2 as well as DVB-S/S2 so you should have returned it as not as described for a refund.

Don't throw good money after bad but gift or resell it?

IMHO

Worth experimenting with though, before junking it. You might find that it's enough for your needs.

Worth buying and fixing dish and LNB?

Well, a dish setup will be needed in any event, so why not try the existing box first once a dish is in place and see what happens? It might avoid local landfill.

Nothing in the OPs post suggests they don't have perfectly good Freeview reception. Merely they have this free to air sat box and were wondering if it's worth using...

IMHO not worth spending £30-£40 or more on a dish, lnb, cable, connectors and supports - but if the OP had it already then yes 'try it and see' is logical... Perhaps at a friend, neighbour or relatives home with a dish?

Yes, of course. I formed the impression that Freesat was the objective. It’s a useful backup though, as I found out when the Bilsdale TX died last year.

Hi @john9159,

Any zone 1 or zone 2 satellite dish fitted with a regular 'universal' LNB will work fine with your teeny tiny GTMedia V7S satellite receiver.

Give it a go and have some fun ;)

Buying and fixing a dish and LNB is fun?!

It is a nice little free to air satellite receiver that will work on any satellite position. It probably has diseqc switching as well. Certainly would not dump it.

Buying and fixing a dish and LNB is fun?!
It is for me... Over the years I fitted dozens of FTA satellite dishes for family and friends. Not only here in the UK but also in Ireland, France, Belgium, Germany and Spain ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom