1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite Dish Analogue to Digital

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by frenchian, Jul 15, 2005.

1. frenchian

frenchian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have very recently 'acquired' a home in Burgundy and want to receive Sky channels. The house came with a satellite dish (80cm) marked Metronic.
    I took my Grundig receiver over and connected it up only to get the 'no signal' message displayed. I suspect the dish was for an old Analogue setup, but I'm not sure. How do I check if it's digital or analogue?
    If it is analogue can I replace the LNB with a new digital one.?

I realise from this forum that Grundig boxes can produce 'no signal' messages
    for a number of reasons...power supply, accurate dish alignment etc, I just thought I would start with the obvious (to me anyway).

Many thanks in advance

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If it's in France, it's almost certainly the wrong type of LNB for Sky Digital, and almost certainly pointing at the wrong satellite.

You can replace the LNB, but the mountings may not be the same.

P.S. There's no such thing as an "analogue" or "digital" LNB or dish. The problem with the LNB you already have is that it probably won't pick up the correct frequency ranges for Sky.

3. frenchian

frenchian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick_UK
    Yes it's in France and it was pointing at the wrong satellite. I re-aligned the dish to about SSE (28 degrees). Quite scarey climbing on the roof!. I know the alignment needs to be acurate for the Grundig box but I though I might get something.
    So can I replace the LNB or do I have to buy a new dish?

Thanks for the prompt reply Nick.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You might get a few channels. I've never tried getting Sky on an old LNB. You want an LNB which is often referred to as "universal". There's guys on ebay selling them at between £20 and £30 a time for Sky digital.

5. frenchian

frenchian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, I will try replacing the LNB with one you suggested, it seems to be the best place to start.
    Thanks for the clarification over Analogue and Digital, I am completly new to this satellite malarky having only just purchased a SKY subscription in the UK a few months ago.