Question Satellite connector, return faceplate to TV cable, can I use an adapter?

alebleicker

Standard Member
Hi there,

I've got a TV that has Satellite and normal TV connector, and the room where it will be located has only a "return" socket on the wall. I believe this socket goes to the return in the living room where all other connections are.

I want to use freesat, so can I get the RF socket, and connect to the return socket in the living room? On the other side in the bedroom, do I need to convert the return connection into a RF connector for the satellite connection?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2015-12-13 13.50.26.jpg
    2015-12-13 13.50.26.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 2015-12-13 13.50.41.jpg
    2015-12-13 13.50.41.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 2015-12-13 13.57.13.jpg
    2015-12-13 13.57.13.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
For Freeview

Connect a TV splitter to the TV out socket in the living room. Connect one output to the return socket and the other to whatever your existing aerial is connected to. Connect the remote TV using it's standard aerial connector.

For satellite (note it's most likely your TV has a generic free to air satellite tuner, so won't be Freesat). Assuming you aren't using both satellite outputs in the living room. Get two satellite f type patch leads. Get a pair of f to belling lee adaptors. Connect one of the two satellite outputs in the living room to the return socket. Connect the bedroom output to the TV satellite input.

Labgear F To Coax Plugs Pack of 10

alebleicker

Standard Member
For Freeview

Connect a TV splitter to the TV out socket in the living room. Connect one output to the return socket and the other to whatever your existing aerial is connected to. Connect the remote TV using it's standard aerial connector.

For satellite (note it's most likely your TV has a generic free to air satellite tuner, so won't be Freesat). Assuming you aren't using both satellite outputs in the living room. Get two satellite f type patch leads. Get a pair of f to belling lee adaptors. Connect one of the two satellite outputs in the living room to the return socket. Connect the bedroom output to the TV satellite input.

Labgear F To Coax Plugs Pack of 10

I've got an LG650LV and it has freesat builtin, which is good. Ok, so I can simpyl get adaptors, that is very handy. Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I've got an LG650LV and it has freesat builtin, which is good. Ok, so I can simpyl get adaptors, that is very handy. Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Are you sure it has Freesat built in ? Freesat is a epg service, there are lots of TV's that have DVB-S2 tuners that cannot use the Freesat epg. All the info I can find does not specify the TV is Freesat capable. It does however have Freeview-HD. When you tune it you will most likely find no epg and channel numbers that have no relation to those found on a Freesat TV (The freesat epg provides the local channel numbers).

alebleicker

Standard Member
Are you sure it has Freesat built in ? Freesat is a epg service, there are lots of TV's that have DVB-S2 tuners that cannot use the Freesat epg. All the info I can find does not specify the TV is Freesat capable. It does however have Freeview-HD. When you tune it you will most likely find no epg and channel numbers that have no relation to those found on a Freesat TV (The freesat epg provides the local channel numbers).

At least according to this doc it is:

http://cdn.freesat.co.uk/freesat/freesat_website/content/downloadables/lg partnership.pdf

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

Well you will soon find out the answer :)

Unfortunately the LG website is rather lacking on technical details. If you find BBC 1 on channel 108 it's a Freesat specified TV. If it turns up on 5xxx channel numbers and there is no epg it's not. TBH having provided the connection info, it's rather down to you to check the information. A freesat TV should come with a freesat sticker. If it does not, it's unlikely to be a freesat certified device.

Not having the specific TV do not shoot the messenger :laugh:

alebleicker

Standard Member
So I've tested the telly connected directly to the SAT socket, worked fine. It got s shed load of channels, really nice. The problem is, when I convert the coaxial from the sat, to the normal cable to use the return socket, and then on the other side I revert this using another adapter, I can't get signal. I'm pretty sure the cables are fine, I've tested all coaxial cables that I use, all fine. I'm not sure then is actually it works to convert sat to the other normal tv cable type. I believe it should be possible. Not sure if adding too many adapters is the problem?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom