1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite Coax.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by rufus, Dec 19, 2004.

1. rufus

rufus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HELLO THERE,
    CAN ANYONE PLEASE SUGGEST A QUALITY COAX TO USE WITH SKY + AND WHERE I CAN BUY IT. ALSO WILL THIS MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE OVER THE STANDARD STUFF THAT IS USED WHEN SKY ORIGINALY INSTALLED ? :smashin:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If it was professionally installed using the proper cable, then you will gain nothing by changing it. You can buy it at most DIY stores, or even cheaper in bulk from companies like Screwfix Direct

3. rufus

rufus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx,
    Changing Location ,so Need Longer Length Cable.

Pioneer 435xde. Pioneer Xv-dv55 Sky+ Ps2

4. dunbad

dunbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Do you have Sky +?

If so then CT63 (SHotgun) coax is the best and it fits through one 10mm hole in the wall. I am about to buy a 100 meter coil but I only need 30 Meters. So if you need to buy some then I will be happy to sell you some at 70P per meter and can post to you.

If you have standard Sky then CT100 is the best. This is only a single core Coax cable. Both these cables have top quality Screening around the centre core. I also have some of this which I can sell to you for 60p per meter.

Please send me a Private Message if your interested in buying some cable.

Please don't use standard Coax as the digital interference will cause poor pic quality.

Thanxs

:beer:

5. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323

CT63 'the best' - last resort more like :laugh:

For Sky+, the best way is 2 runs of CT100 but this can look a bit messy if not done well. CT63 is easy to run and looks neat but it really is a poor alternative.

A drum of CT100 can be had for around £30 (retail). (30p a metre!)

Rufus - highly unlikely to improve on what you've already got though! :thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

A. Dork

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Dunbad

Can you explain the difference in CT specs. My understanding was that the larger the CT number, the better the cable but the bigger and less pliable it became. With that understanding, what you are implying, Sky+ requires lower quality cable than standard Sky, or is it to do with requiring twin downleads so the thinner CT63 will suffice?

At some point, im going to recable my aerial socket and possibly add a sat dish for non Sky stuff as my TV has a d-sat decoder along side the d-tv one. I really would like to MUX d-tv, d-sat and fm and if possible lay the infrastructure for future digital radio on the off chance that one day it will sound better than a decent FM setup.

-Ian

7. rufus

rufus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI THERE, A.DORK
    Please Could You Explain What You Mean By Twin Run? & If It Means What I Think It Means How Do You Make The Necessary Connections?
    What Sought Of Pq.improvement Would You Expect Over Normal Single Run Coax?

8. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Rufus,

Sky+ needs two feeds from the dish.

The best way of doing this is 2 seperate lengths of CT100 cable. Difficult to make it look neat though.

Most installers will use CT63. CT63 is a twin coax cable formed into a 'figure 8' shape. It's much thinner than CT100 and therefore the signal losses will be higher. As I say, it's a last resort in my opinion. The reason(s) it's used are it's easier and cheaper than CT100 and only requires one hole through the wall.

Standard F connectors can be made to fit CT63 but the correct ones should be used (they have a thinner barrel).

'PQ' improvement? - None at all. Signal levels will be better with CT100 than CT63 but very, very minimal unless it's a very long run.

Hope this helps.

A. Dork