Satellite Broadband

Simon Lill

I live in rural Oxfordshire and have a pretty poor broadband connection via BT.

This is less to do with then as an ISP and more to do with the infrastructure in my local area and an exchange that can offer around 4mb at best.

I work from home and have some interest in online gaming and am interested to know if I have any other options to run of the mill broadband solutions.

Which leads me on to satellite broadband?

Anyone got any experience with this? Any recommendations.

Does it work in the same way as satellite tv i.e a dish on the side of the house?

Thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
some interest in online gaming
Which leads me on to satellite broadband?

Only if you play very slow paced games I'm afraid. Internet satellites are typically in geostationary orbits like TV satellites, they're around 36,000km away from the earth - about twice as far as Australia - so as you can imagine ping times over that distance aren't great.

If you can afford it then you could run both, keep the ADSL line for gaming and use the satellite for your work, which is what I assume you want the higher speed for.

Last edited:

Simon Lill

EndlessWaves said:
Only if you play very slow paced games I'm afraid. Internet satellites are typically in geostationary orbits like TV satellites, they're around 36,000km away from the earth - about twice as far as Australia - so as you can imagine ping times over that distance aren't great.

Ah. I hadn't considered that! Good shout. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom