Satelite and Dolby digital, DTS, AC3

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mikedreado, Mar 21, 2005.

1. mikedreado

mikedreado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, can someone tell me if the quality of Dolby digital, DTS, AC3 received with a sat-receiver is good or poor.
    Someone told me it's very poor and that Prologic II or I would be better to use. I want to buy a pre-amplifier but don't want to know if I bye one with a processor or just with 7.1 analogue in- and out-puts (Holfi, Arcam) just to connect my Denon A-11 DVD player.

Bye,
    Mike

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Dolby Digital and AC3 are more or less the same thing can not be used without conforming to the specs laid down by Dolby. While the bitrate can be variable (on DVD as well) there is nothing to say that SKY's use of DD5.1 audio is in real terms any worse than a retail DVD. There are issues with volume levels and some SKY+ units seem be suffering from drop-outs but that's not an issue with the format as such.
    There is no DTS on UK digital broadcasts.

I can not imagine the circumstances that would make DD or DTS broadcasts so poor that DPI or DPII would sound better assuming you have a suitable amp with good speakers in the first place:)

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You maybe OK with DD tranmissions but stereo then using Pro logic on your amp may present problem. In terms of how well Pro logic works. You may find 5 channel stereo gives a better result.