Satallite receiver, not sky box

bob1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Simple question really, will i get all the freeview channels that you would get from sky on a none sky box.
Thanks.

Nope. Freeview is terestrial (through an aerial not a dish). You can however receive lots of FTA (Free To Air) channels with a non-Sky box. However you won't get Ch4, Ch5, More4, E4 or Sky3. There are lots of threads on this I suggest a search on Freesat.

better to buy a second hand sky box and then get a freesat card from Sky. You will then get everything on freeview and much more! Second hand boxes can be bought from as little as 10 quid but make sure you test if before you part with your dosh!. Cheers, Franc

You won't get "everything on Freeview" without a Freeview receiver. You'll get a lot of (many crap) channels from a Sky box but not all Freeview channels.

Let me just clear things up i will be getting a freeview box for freeview channels.
I also want freesat as you get a few extra channels but that could be said for both systems.
I don't want a sky box ,i have a sky box and card ,the trouble is i will have all the channel list but will only get a few of them ,with a satelite reciever(none sky) i will be able to edit the channel list and just put on the channels i want.
I have managed to find a list of FTA channels for both systems.

What happend to my reply to beerhunter:confused: .
Went something like this.

I know the difference between freeview and freesat ,i ment to say freesat and i know i will not get ch4 etc and i will have a freeveiw box for those channels.
i will do a search ,thanks.

you will get c4 and c5 with a freesat card but you have to pay Sky a one off small fee for the card. The only time you don't get those 2 channels is when you have freesat no card. an expired sky card doesn't always act like a freesat card.

FRANTIC FRANC said:
pay Sky a one off small fee for the card.
That will never happen,plus I DONT WANT A SKY BOX:)

so just buy a Free sat reciever (wont get ITV CH4 etc as they are media guard encrypted to get the most out of the system you need to pick up a couple of sats (motorised dish or larger dish with dual LNB's to get hotbird 19.2 and astra 28.2 or similar) Humax and Pace are both making and selling HD sat boxes (you get FTA SD as well) but you do get the BBC HD trial https://www.paceshop.com/shop/product/details/ds810xe-hd-set-top-box

hornydragon said:
so just buy a Free sat reciever (wont get ITV CH4 etc as they are media guard encrypted

All ITV channels are free to air. So he should get them no probs.

All he won't get is Channel 4 and Channel 5 - at least until their contract with $ky runs out.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Amazing how a thread can turn into utter nonsense because people confuse "Freeview", "Freesat" and "Free To Air"! :rolleyes:

SamRadford said:
Amazing how a thread can turn into utter nonsense because people confuse "Freeview", "Freesat" and "Free To Air"! :rolleyes:
Confused who:confused: ,i wasn't confused at first but i'm getting there:D .

hornydragon said:
so just buy a Free sat reciever (wont get ITV CH4 etc as they are media guard encrypted to get the most out of the system you need to pick up a couple of sats (motorised dish or larger dish with dual LNB's to get hotbird 19.2 and astra 28.2 or similar) Humax and Pace are both making and selling HD sat boxes (you get FTA SD as well) but you do get the BBC HD trial https://www.paceshop.com/shop/product/details/ds810xe-hd-set-top-box

Hd boxes do look tempting but not at the moment, what will happen after the bbc trial and will any more free channels be added, i think i'll wait and see.Just need to find a sat box now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom