1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sata

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sted, Apr 14, 2005.

1. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, got all my media center components delivered now - ready for a weekend build! A big thank you to everyone who helped me make decisions by the way.
    Just been reading through the motherboard instructions whilst "working from home" and it said that i must install windows XP before using a SATA hard disk!
    Now, only just about being confident enough to build the machine myself (with a little help from friends if necessary) this has confused the hell out of me. What am i meant to do?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,756
    I think that if you want to have the Sata drive as the boot drive, you need to tell the installation program to read the Sata drivers from a floppy disk before attempting to install.

3. Harryo

Harryo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am in the process of building a new system but have not purchased the hard-drives yet, will most probably be going with Sata type.

For information or help on building your system the following website is pretty useful:-

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/forums/

Harryo

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    JohnG is correct and my post is just for a little clarificaton. The Windows XP/2000 installation program cannot access sata drives, so during the operation of installing windows onto a sata HDD drive it will ask for the sata drivers that come with the HDD drive so that it can successfully access the drive to load Windows XP/2000 onto it. Once you have installed the OS then the drive can be used as any normal ATA drive.

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way you install XP on a SATA can depend on you motherboard. But you certainly don't install XP first then your drive.

1) You can go into bios setup (hit Del, or F1, or whatever) during POST, and see if you can get the SATA drive to look like a normal PATA/IDE drive in the IDE controller setup, then boot of the XP CD and install as normal.

2) If your motherboard doesn't allow that then there will be some SATA drivers supplied - these must be on a floppy disk. Boot the XP install disk as normal, and when you're confronted with a blue screen you'll see a message at teh bottom promting to press F6 to load SCSI/RAID etc. drivers. Press F6 at this point. Later in the install you'll be prompted for the drivers on teh floppy.

You might be able to slipstream the drivers onto a XP install XP (Google for XP Slipstream) but I haven't tried this method

6. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure I read that somewhere too but I thought what the hell and installed my SATA hard drive then installed windows. It worked so either the good build fairies where looking over my shoulder or the reference to SATA after windows is not what you'd think it's for, if that makes sense.

Anyway, it worked and that's all I cared about.

Are you using MCE2005 as the OS? If so, beware of the 'insert CD labled SP2' during installation. What it means is put the other disc in (you may know this already but if not, it put my build back by a week until I was told about it on here).

Cheers,
    Jon.

7. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    Thanks very much for all the responses - av forums to the rescue yet again. Unfortunately i unwittingly got the OEM version of the drive (Maxtor DiamondMax 10) so didn't get a floppy disk. I can't find one on the Maxtor website - if anyone can see one then let me know! I wasn't planning on installing a floppy drive but i guess i'm going to have to do that now . . .
    Cheers
    Ed

8. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon - yep, i've got a copy of MCE - i'll watch out for the CD prompts, cheers. Since you didn't get any issues, maybe MCE can read SATA drives? I guess i may as well try it . . .

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    The SATA driver you need will be on the drivers CD that came with your motherboard. You will need to copy this to a floppy disk but there are usually instructions on how to do this on the CD.

10. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, ok, cheers. Now all i need is a floppy drive and a floppy disk :)

11. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been reading a few blogs/forums, e.g
    http://cruftbblogs/ox.com/blog/archives/000867.html
    and it seems that putting the sata drivers on a floppy disk is the way to go. Bloody Microsoft - banging on about how Media Center is the future and then requiring a floppy disk to install it!

12. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    OR you could create a Windows OS CD with the drvers already loaded..... see here

13. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, maybe it depends on the motherboard chipset but I didn't install a floppy drive (never intended to) and just installed the OS from a totally fresh build with only a SATA hard drive (plus CD rom of course). The thing is, what do you have to lose if you just try it? It'll either work or it wont surely. Why wouldn't the SATA drivers be on the OS disc anyway?

14. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Windows MCE might contain the correct SATA drivers. i can't comment on that as I've never used it. Best to check on the MS website, or the readme that comes with the MCE disk.

15. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Asus motherboard had no problem installing XP straight onto a brand new SATA drive, so it is possible.

16. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't find any Microsoft documentation on it but you're right Jon - i may as well try it.