1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sata/XP2 problems please help Xmas blues!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by LiquidTV, Dec 25, 2004.

1. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I have spent the last couple of days assembling components for my new PC. I managed to overcome some problems to a point where I install XP2 on the sata drive but when it reboots I get the following message.

Sorry for the inconvenience blaa, blaa, blaa but windows came across an error possible owing to software or hardware change. It then gives you the usual options of;

Start up in safe mode
    Start up command prompt
    Start up in safe mode network
    Start up normally

I have tried all these options but the dreaded blue screen of death appears it reboots back to the above options!!! I am unable to read what the blue screen says as it quickly disappears.

Okay this is the system I have built.

Case: Coolermaster Stacker
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Motherboard Features: ASUS A8V Deluxe Athlon 64 Mainboard - 2000MHz SB, Dual LAN, IEEE 1394, SATA
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX 55 (939PIN)
    Memory: Corsair 1024Mb PC3200 DDR Memory 400MHz
    Floppy: 1.44MB Floppy Drive
    Hard Drives: Maxtor 300Gb Ultra Fast ATA Hard Drive & Raptor 74Gb 10000rpm ATA
    Video Card: 256MB nVIDIA GeForce BFG 6800 Ultra
    Optical Drives: NEC ND-3500A Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW & SONY 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    Sound: Creative Soundblaster AUDIGY 2 ZS Platinum Internal

1) Firstly I am slightly confused with RAID. Do you need to have two identical hard disks for this to work of any of the formats (ie Performance, Mirror or combination of both).

2) Will RAID work on a single hard disk?

3) The mobo has both Sata RAID & just Sata connectors. It offers Promise RAID & VIARAID bios configurations but both can be RAID configured. I'm so confused!!! :confused:

Putting aside the problem as above, what i'm after is for Raptor to be the main drive & the maxtor a slave drive.

Now a breakdown I've what I've done so far.

I have plugged the Sata hard disks into RAID1 & RAID2 on the mobo.

I then choose a mirror array in the Promise bios options & reboot the PC.

I then begin to install XP2 & press F6 to install the RAID drvier. It later prompts for the driver which I install. It also prompts for the RAPTOR hard disk driver which I install. It then reformats the drive in NTFS & begins to install XP2 right to the end. The PC reboots & the above problems occurs.

I have tried playing with BIOS settings but that doesn't work. I assume the neither fdrive should appear as IDE primary & Secndary in the BIOS as they are SATA??

I want to use my new toy, somebody please help!!

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    DO NOT try and raid them drives, they both have to be the same size unless you want your 300gb drive to be used as a 74gb drive :eek:

Re congifure them so thyre on the standard sata 1 and 2 connectors and check bios is configured aswell.

Then reinstall windows and all should be ok.

3. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok after a bit of a struggle I managed to load up the sata controller when prompted by XP. However, when I try to start the installation process it is unable to find a hard drive!!! Any ideas as to what am I missing?? I assume as they are not IDE but sata they will not show in the primary & secondary master in the BIOS??

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Can't comment on your motherboard per se - but I have an Abit IC7-Max3 and for the SATA controller you can tell it to map to the Primary IDE channel, so it's not an issue for booting.

I would double check your bios setting to see if you can set it to map to the IDE channel - if so, you may find your problem will disappear. (Can't guarantee it for you - I only use the SATA on mine for RAID purposes)

5. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorted!!!! Did loads of research on the net. I plugged the sata connectors to Raid 1 & 2 on the mobo then installed the Promise driver when prompted during installation. I got confused as I didn't want RAID, but just sata for two drives, main & slave. I read that although they mobo shows them as RAID 1 & 2, they are only configured to work in that manner if they are set up that way in the PROMISE or VIARAID BIOS. The PROMISE controller works the RAID sata & the VIARAID controller works the sata conections. It was as simple as that. Why don't these manufacturers write their manuals in simple & clear language!!! Anyway, I'm well happy now Half Life 2 here I go!!!

Thanks for your help guys :clap: :thumbsup: :beer: